Blog Archive

Monday, February 05, 2007

We Made it! Belgium
















Hello all! It is cloudy, rainy, and foggy Monday morning. I love it! After living in St. George for 2 years, the rain and clouds were missed, so this weather has been wonderful. However, the mist and humidity does a number on my hair-I look like a combo between Richard Simmons and a Chia Pet. Cam says my hair feels like barbie hair, which is pretty accurate (what's he doing playing with baribies anyways?)

Life is good. We all journey to church yesterday. Since we still don't have a car, we took the almost 2 hour tram/metro ride to and from church. Loaded with all 3 kids and the double stroller, it was quite the spectacle. The double stroller is nice, and we are getting pretty good at lifting it up and down stairs and on and off the metro. It is perfect in size, and just barely fits through the tram doors. However, my back is killing me. Not only does it hurt from lugging the stroller everywhere, but Cam and I had to load all our laundry in backpack/suitcases and walk to town to get it done at the laundromat. We looked pretty goofy, but hey! We have clean clothes.

Joshua-
Josh is getting adjusted, but is still pretty nervous about everything. Whenever he hears someone speaking Dutch or French, he gets anxious and almost starts to cry. However, church yesterday was great for him. There are about 5 other 3 and 4 year olds in is class, so that has helped. When we first got here, he couldn't believe that Cam didn't tell him about all the sticks that are lying on the ground. Dad told him to get excited about the Belgian Waffles and riding the train, but I guess lots of sticks on the ground must have slipped his mind (hee hee). We are planning on him starting French school in a few weeks.

Daxton-
Well, Daxton, what do you say about this boy? He currently has a GIANT goose egg on his head from falling onto the corner of the bathroom doorway, almost split his head open (luckily it wasn't too deep) and then this morning he cut the corner of his eye when he woke up on his chest of drawers. So he pretty much looks like we beat him. He is fun though, and is constantly making us laugh. He can say "shoe" and "what's that" and of course mama and dada. We repeat stuff to him in French, hoping he might pick it up.

Ella-
Ella is now 2 months old and is currently crying, so I need to go get her. There, now she's going to sleep in her crib. She is getting chubby. She has had the hardest time adjusting here (which is odd to me) but maybe one day I will get a good night's sleep. It's always one of the kids who wakes up 3 or 4 times during the night. Needless to say, we're tired.

Cam-
Cam is loving school (thank goodness, right?) He has met people from around the globe, and is known as the mormon kid. For most of them he's the only lds kid they've ever met. Some of them are surprised to find out that he's just a normal guy (well, almost normal). His favorite class is European Foreign Security Policy. The professor is Director of Policy at NATO, (a big wig) and I guess he's an excellent teacher. I'm glad Cam has friends he can talk with about this kind of stuff, cause man does it fly over my head (and between my ears.)

Me-
I love Belgian Waffles. Honestly, they are SOOOO good. Whenever we get off the metros I can smell them, and we have to stop and buy them. They are coated with this sugary syrup stuff, oh man I need to stop talking about them, or we'll have to go get one. Also, Nutella is the best stuff ever made. I can eat anything, as long as it's coated with Nutella. So basically all I do is eat, but as long as we're walking EVERYWHERE I figure I can justify it.
I am loving it here. It is such a beautiful country, and we've only seen a small portion of it. It will be an interesting and very exciting year. However, my mom and sister are still here (for 2 more days) so ask me how I'm doing after they leave. They have been awesome and Wednesday is going to be a hard day.

I haven't taken any pictures with my camera, and we can't load any of my sister's pics on, so the photos are going to be kinda random. However, my sister has some great pictures that she will email when she gets home.

The Pictures above are of:
Shera Josh and Dax in the Park right by our house (it's behind the African Museum)
Ella 2 months old
Cam and Josh standing by the "Mannekin Pis" (peeing boy, yeah that's right, Brussels is famous for this one)
Josh in front of this fun Candy Shop
All of us in "Grande Place"

We have been around town a lot, to the African Museum (just down the street a ways) and to this giant grassy park. We have also been to "Grande Place" which is a beautiful part of Brussels with lots of little shops and gorgeous buildings. Josh and Dax tried to catch the pigeons there.

Life is good and we hope to hear from you all soon!

1 comment:

brit said...

oh gosh.....you guys are so freakin' cute. i love it. hope all is well in belgium. FYI- we are staying in SG for what looks like possibly the rest of our lives.....i couldn't be happier!
take care of yourself!