Blog Archive

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Disgusted with Humanity

The setting: Cherry Hill's tube ride, "Cardiac Canyon."
The characters: Me, my son Josh, fellow swimmers, Mr. Lifeguard and one lone woman
The dilemma: Lone woman can't get out of her tube

Josh and I just got off our tubes and are waiting in line to ride again. I see the lone woman come under the waterfall, and down the last slide to the "bay" area where she is to hop off her tube, and hand it to the next person in line. My first thought when I saw her come down the slide was pure admiration. "Wow, talk about super-grandma." I was shocked that this older, heavier woman would come down this water slide in the freezing cold water. What a trooper!

My admiration quickly turned to sadness, then disgust as I witnessed what came next.

She couldn't get out of her tube.

Sadness.

The lone woman kept rolling from side to side trying to get up, but to no avail. My heart sunk. But wait! Here comes the lifeguard, what a good guy, coming to her aid. Oh, wait. He's not offering her his hand, he's grabbing the tube and trying to pull it out from under her! My heart sinks again as this lone woman still can not get up. A young girl in line starts to laugh, and the man standing next to her looks down and smiles. They are within arms reach, but don't offer to help.

Disgust.

The lone woman's tube starts to drift around the "bay" pool, with her still stuck inside . Mr. lifeguard continues to hold the handle. The water is deeper now and the lifeguard continues to pull on the handle, trying to pull that tube out from under her.

I begin to yell. "Offer her your hand! Help her up!"

Mr. Lifeguard succeeds in his task, rips the tube out from under her, and hands it to the next person in line. The lone woman grabs onto a bar to try to pull herself from the water's current, back onto the safety of the cement pavement.

She finally makes it and wipes the water from her face in one big exasperated swoop.

And I'm still standing in line. I'm just as disgusting as the rest of the lot.

6 comments:

Aaron and Bonnie said...

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this story. I love how you refer to the lady as "lone woman". It is just so sad how we all just watch unfortunate things happen to people. At least you spoke up right? You are just the cutest ever!!!!

Whitmer Family said...

I don't think your disgusting Cin, you spoke up and didn't put a picture of the lady on the blog.

Marge said...

It is nice to know that I'm not the only person who thinks there is something wrong with the way most people behave. Don't worry, you'll make up for not doing something. You posted on the blog and now every who reads it will try to do better next time they see someone who needs help.

brit said...

i'm disgusting too.....i am afraid i'd be the one laughing. but only to myself. we just had a family home evening about this very thing. cute activity. ill have to tell you more about it cause it was really fun.

Herways Go West said...

Makes us all stop and think. Thanks!

Cline Family said...

It's sad how we're afraid to stand up and help sometimes! However, I think you're great! I know we don't know each other very well, but I do enjoy your blog. I finally created one, and want to invite you to it, can't find your email address though... send me an email, and I'll be able to add you to my blog.

Sydni Cline (from the ward)