Blog Archive

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Frosty the Snowman takes Vengeance

Apparently some people think it is pretty funny to push over the big and beautiful snow man you built as a family, decapitate it, and place the head on your porch. Okay, so I laughed the first time they did it. But then the next day they not only put the head back up onto the porch, but also ripped the arms from his body, and placed them in the head. Cheap thrills, I suppose. I think the story would make a good picture book, but as night falls, the snow man pushes himself up off the ground, retrieves his head from the porch, and walks down the street with his head at his side, in search of the culprit. He would then find the punk teen and scare him so bad that the teen wets the bed, or something along those lines.

Were the Holidays as good for you as they were for us? Taking a 2 week break from life is a pretty wonderful thing. It was a white Christmas this year, and aside from everyone barfing their brains out on Christmas Eve, it was pretty picture-perfect.

December was a fun month for us. We were able to take the kids to Ogden's "Christmas Village," where you look in the windows to see the different decorations in each building. Santa was also there, and each child took their turn telling him what they would like this Christmas.



We also made gingerbread houses (one for us, which we devoured upon completion, and one for Nana and Grandpa Scott).

And finally, all the Thredgold grandkids participated in reanacting the Nativity. I painfully made costumes for each child (i'm not a seamstress but any stretch of the imagination.) Josh was Joseph, Dax was the Shepherd, Ella was Mary, Jack was a sheep, Kenneth was baby Jesus, and Audrey was our angel (of course.)

They all lasted in their costumes for about 30 seconds, but it was all worth it!

Joshua

Josh was very specific with his wish list this year and had it all written out in detail. Skis from Dad, Bakugan from Mom, and a Leapster 2 from Santa. However, he gave mom and dad a little surprise as he sat on Santa's lap at Ogden's "Christmas Village." When asked what he wanted for Christmas, he immediately replied "A football!" Santa asked what his favorite team was, and Josh replied "BYU." Needless to say, Josh got 2 presents from Santa this year and has taken his BYU football to school everyday this week.

December's fast Sunday was a special one because Josh got up and bore his testimony. I tried to talk him out of going up, and instead to share it for FHE or for Nana and Grandpa, but he was determined. I told him he had to go up on his own, and to share what he believed about the Gospel. He smiled, and nodded, and walked up to the podium. He said "I would like to bear my testimony. I know this Church is true and I know Jesus Christ is my Savior." It pulled at my heartstrings. Josh was super sweet in December (probably fearing the lump of coal threats). He kept writing Cam and I sweet little notes, folding them like airplanes, and flying them to wherever we were sitting. He wrote a note to Cam saying "Dad, I am sorry I like the Lakers. But the Utah Jazz are the best." (Cam and Josh debate who's better often. Cam says the Laker's "stink" to which Josh replies "They only stink because they work so hard on the court."
Josh even arranged the wrapping paper rolls to say "I love you."
Josh in his School Program (he was the narrator)
Daxton

Daxton continues to keep us laughing. He was SOOO excited for Christmas to come. Dax received a "stunts" race car track from Santa, but was more tempted to play with the horse and Barbie that Ella received. However, he is thrilled with the sled mom and dad bought him, and loves to have me pull him around the block after I shovel our driveway.

Dax was pulling Ella around the house in her new wagon the other day. He left the kitchen, and pulled her into the living room and announced, "Here you go, Princess Town!"


Ella

Ella received more girl toys this year with a barbie, and a crib for her baby doll (who she lovingly named "Baby Kenny."--Shera's baby boy is named Kenny)

Unlike her brothers, Ella isn't too fond of the snow. She refuses to walk in it (fearing that she will fall) so you have to carry her around. Plain and simple she just doesn't like to be cold, but will sit in it and munch away on all that fluffy whiteness.

Cam

Sledding at the Page Cabin with Collin and the cousins.

Cam FINALLY received his Christmas gift of 2 new pairs of skis, which he ordered from a retailer, named ZAG, in France. Apparently they are unlike any that he has ever ski'd on before. He will try them out on Saturday. Hopefully he loves them.

Josh gave Cam a picture of the two of them skiing, and he wrote a note to Cam telling him how glad he was that Cam taught him to ski.
Cindy

Playing in the snow

I have found a new way to make money. It's called COUPONS. No joke. Most people say "I don't have time to cut coupons" or "I hate the hassle." Admittedly, it takes a bit of time, but by doing so I am saving money. I figure that by taking the hour to cut the coupons, then go to the "penny pincher" (www.pinchingyourpennies.com) website and decide which deals are the best (combining coupons with things already on sale) I am making about $60 an hour. The best I have done so far was last week. I spent $120, saved $108 and earned $30 to use on my next purchase. I have cut our grocery bill for each month in half, and have also built quite a nice food storage for us in the process. It's a good thing.

Ella and I warming up at the Page Family Cabin after sledding.

I had a great Christmas. I spent the early morning hours of Christmas Eve (2am-on) on the couch with Ella and Dax. They were both really sick, and throwing up, but were better by that afternoon. Then Cam came home around 4 pm from work, and he had the bug too. He stayed in bed until Christmas morning, and luckily, felt well enough to open presents with us.
Kids in their Christmas P.J.s from Nana

It was such a great season spent with family and loved ones. I am excited for this new year and for the chance we have to set new goals and try to be our best.

Hope 2009 is great for you!

4 comments:

Marge said...

I can't believe you made ALL those nativity costumes, you are amazing. And they look so authentic, not all made up with dazzle and sparkle for hollywood or what not. I dream of one day being as cool as Cynthia Lee Thredgold Eggertz!!!

Whitmer Family said...

cute blog Cindy, I can't believe how big all those kids are!I have to admit I am quite impressed with the whole coupon business!

brit said...

i also love to do the coupon thing. i am not as consistent at it as i would like to be, but you just cant lose! i once got $136 worth of groceries for $17 plus a $5 coupon for my next purchase. not to mention free capri sun.

Kayla and Samuel said...

Hey Cindy & Cameron, I can't believe how big your kids are getting and so cute as always! Oh, by the way, I don't know if you are interested, but your previous home here in Bloomington Hills is for sale. Ever think about moving back?