Blog Archive

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Is it hot in here?


Planting a tree with dad.

Can you tell Josh is in a sour mood?

I wrote this a week ago, and finally am adding the pics to it so I can get it published before the month is over, and I am a month behind.

It may be my sole opinion, but I feel that life is just a bit sweeter while wearing an apron. Maybe because I feel like the a-typical "leave-it-to-beaver" mom while I wear one (I just lack the cute dress and pearls). You put the apron on and the fun begins, canning peaches, baking cookies, cooking a beautiful pie. Perhaps it just comes down to the fact that for the most part, food is involved while I wear the apron, and I like food. Whatever the reason, I have 5 aprons and they get good use.

If you haven't yet seen "Julie & Julia," I recommend it. Great movie (Maryl Streep is brilliant), but I left feeling even more so, a lousy cook. Don't get me wrong, I can bake, because when you bake it almost always involves a recipe. Step by step sequencing is EXACTLY what I need. If you give me any kind of cooking liberty or allowance, the meal is a flop. I have attempted 5 roasts in my lifetime, and not one has turned out. The last one was placed lovingly in the crock pot. With no recipe, my cooking liberty was unleashed. I added beef bouillon, fresh onions, garlic, some seasonings and potatoes, and let it simmer all day long. It smelled delicious. It tasted atrocious. I pulled it out of the crock pot only to discover that the piece of plastic was still stuck to the bottom and had been simmering with the meat all day long (mmmmm.....cancer.) The meat was tough, chewy, and you could barely cut through it with the sharpest of knives. I really want to master the pot-roast and conquer the beast. But,bottom line: Cindy needs recipes. Got any good ones?

Joshua Cameron Eggertz

First day of 2nd grade.

He was so brave this time around, and really loved to repel down after the climb.


It started out as good clean fun. Josh and his good friend Tate wanted to make skeleton masks. Of course Dax and Ella felt they needed to be included in the fun, so I made them some as well, Ella's complete with bow on top (even skeletons need to feel feminine once in a while.)What started as good clean fun soon escalated into this. Tate remembered the skeleton costumes he had at home. Josh and he quickly ran to get them and try them on. Ella wouldn't go near them. The two scary boys set off for Tate's house. I went out on the patio to get something, only to hear the unmistakable scream of Joshua (no, not the "I'm hurt" scream, but the "I'm trying to scare the crap out of you" scream.) Those little stinkers were scaring neighborhood kids! A couple minutes later Josh returned, tears in his eyes, and told me he had scared a little boy and made him cry. He felt bad (hopefully bad enough to not repeat it again , we will just wait and see.)

Josh brought home this flyer last week and was all but doing cart-wheels around the house in excitement while begging me to sign him up. (singing, dancing, acting class)

Cam tried his best to give alternatives. "What about Karate? Gymnastics? Anything else?" But my boy is set on singing, dancing, and acting. He really does have a talent for it, and he still loves sports (basketball this winter as well), so don't worry Cam, he's not too light in his loafers. I have this vision of my Joshy-boy as a senior in High School, lead in the school play, singing his heart out while all the ladies swoon in the audience, and I end up having to beat them all off with a stick once the play is over.

It's an exciting time for Josh. The play practices are all year long, finishing with their performance of "Wonderfully Wicked Wizard of Oz" in May. He starts basketball in November, and Piano next Wednesday. I know it sounds like a lot, but idleness drives this boy crazy (and he in turn drives his mom crazy), so to keep him busy is a good thing.

Josh quote of the month:
"Mmmmmm. I like bacon. It's like being in heaven. Bacon heaven"

Daxton Lee Eggertz
Daxton was "kissed" by a bee on the lip. We discovered he is allergic, as his face dramatically swelled and he soon became unrecognizable. Josh lovingly called him "duck boy."

One day later, and a good dose of benadryl, and he was beginning to look like himself again.

Rock climbing up 25th street in Ogden.
Ogden's Dinosaur park.

Oh, how I adore this little boy. He dressed himself in this one last Sunday. Doesn't it just scream 1989? All he needs are some slap-bracelets and a boom-box on his shoulder and he's set!

Daxton began joy-school this week. I put together a little school for him and 8 other neighborhood kids. I had them all last Tuesday/Thursday and it went really well. He's so excited to be "going to school," and it makes me happy that he is learning and able to spend time with his friends.
B is for Binoculars.

I feel like I can always count on Dax. If I ask all 3 kids to go brush their teeth, Daxton is generally the first one to do it. He is my little helper and I just love him to pieces! (I wonder what that means......love him to pieces? Like pieces of him all over the place, or pieces of love scattered around the house? Hmmmm)

Dax quote of the month:
"Old MacDonald had a farm, G.I., G.I. Joe."

Ella Marie Eggertz
Girl Power.
Ella dressed and ready to go to her "princess" birthday party, hosted by her best friend, Kate.
"Kate is my best friend, she doesn't hit me."

The other day we were walking to the park and Ella insisted on wearing her hat and bringing her purse with her. Girly-girl. She loves her baby doll (Kenny) and is always taking care of her: rocking her in her cradle, putting her binky in, swaying her in her arms while whispering, "shhhh, shhhh, it's okay, it's okay." It is very clear and apparent that girls and boys are sent straight from heaven with very distinct gender role attributes (though I understand that nature/nurture plays its part as well). I love it and love seeing her grow and change day by day. I like that she lets me do her hair, and we have that time together. Hooray for girls!

Ella and Dax will again start up our music class this next Wednesday. Instead of neighborhood kids this year, we have invited some friends, so we will be much smaller in numbers. It will be so nice to have the house filled with the sound of singing children again. I think they are both excited.

Glen Cameron Eggertz
Josh took this shot, while I was belaying Cam.
Cam left for the Tetons this morning. "Le Grande Tetons." Or is it "Les Grande Tetons?" I don't know, I took Spanish, not French. He is once again trying to summit those jagged beasts, and I wish him luck and send him my love.

Cam has been out of town a lot with this new promotion. Though I would much rather have him here, we are thankful that he is having success and landing accounts. Good job, sweetums!

Cynthia Lee Eggertz

So, I am home alone, writing this blog. The kids are outside on the trampoline, and I am sitting on my butt. Is it hot in here? I mean seriously I get hot-flashes constantly. All is well with this pregnancy, and I am feeling back to my normal (well, maybe that's too generous....somewhat-normal) self. I find out the sex on October 1st. I really think it's a girl, which by my record (0 and 3 in guessing), means that it is a boy. The kids are all so excited for this baby to arrive. Josh is always asking if he can feel the baby move ("not yet little buddy, still not big enough.") Dax is always patting my tummy and saying "there's a baby in there." And Ella always follows with "There's a baby in there? Can I see it?"

I am happy. Life is great and I am enjoying the ride. I have written a child's picture book (years in the making) and I have a goal to finish my illustrations and send it in to publishers by the end of this month. It's called "Squishy Rainbows." Wish me luck and I will keep you posted (even if and when they are all rejection notices.)

Til next month!

3 comments:

Marge said...

seriously could you be doing any greater as a mom, wife, woman, friend. just wanted you to know that I love the blog (secretly despising the fact that you are everything I wish I could be and more). thanks for singing, it isn't my thing but I'm trying to let Elizabeth find her own (I'm with Cam on the singing and dancing, wouldn't you rather go run around and get all sweaty). good luck on october 1

Reynolds Family said...

Do you remember the watermelon apron you made me back in the day? Oh yeah-I still have it and wore it this week canning. The kids love it-it's bright and beautiful and still fits around my growing tummy. I'm glad you are feeling better-we'll see you singing on Wednesday.

Four Winns said...

Has Cam ever told you what Grandes Tetons means? And bacon IS like bacon heaven.