Blog Archive

Friday, November 02, 2012

Sensational September

Sensational is a funny word, isn't it? Sense-ational? Meaning something is so spectacular that it appeals to all senses? I would imagine great emotions are involved when something is "sensational." I guess that word pretty much describes September in a nut shell.  So many wonderful experiences as we rode the roller coaster of emotion.  Let's see, how 'bout I describe the month according to my senses:

Smell-The leaves have begun to turn and the crisp cool scent of autumn is in the air. Perhaps it's the cooler temperatures that bring the scent, or maybe the dryness of the air.  Whatever the reason,  I love the change of season, and our first Autumn in Midway has proven most wonderful.  I never noticed the pattern of leaf-color change before.  It seems to go in waves.  First the Maple's begin their slow turn from gala-green to intense burnt-orange and lusty-reds.  Next the Quakies begin their transformation to golden-rod yellow, and soon the whole mountain is ablaze with Autumn's crowning glory.  It's quite a sight really.  Oops, I said sight.  This was supposed to be scent.  Let's move on.



Sight-Living in the mountains affords many benefits.  Clean air, and beauty at every glance.  However, as unfortunate as it may be, it also provides plenty of road kill.  I decided to count the dead for a one week period to illustrate my point.  The outcome? Twelve.  Among the dead: 9 raccoon, one deer, a cat, and a badger.  May they rest in peace.

Sound-That's just it, there is no sound.  When you lie down at night, it is silent. I sit here typing in the early morning hours and all I can hear is the ticking of our clock and the rattle of the keys as I type.  Pretty great.  Step outside and sit quietly and you will hear the moo of the cows, the chirping of the birds, and the occasional hee-haw cry of those incessant donkeys.

Taste-Since moving into the house, I have once more claimed room and space enough to cook.  And that's just what I've done.  I'm not going to toot my own horn, but having counterspace has provided me the opportunity to once again bake pies and cut cookies in ease.  The gas stove has afforded many a delicious dinner, and the double oven has cooked everything from chicken casseroles to breadsticks.  I've finally made the point to plan out meals for everyday of the week and it has revolutionized my life.  Grocery shopping is easy because I know exactly what I need to purchase for each dish, and when 4:30 hits, dinner is already planned.  The worry of "what's for dinner tonight?" has dissapated.  Toot toot.

Touch-As I think of touch my mind races over past month experiences.  They range from hugging my children to unpacking box after box after box.  Okay fine, and I also think of grabbing Cam's butt.  All things wonderful, but this whole moving thing is for the birds.  So much work! We finally  moved into the house on Sep. 29th, and once we unpacked and organized enough "livable" items, my body kind of shut down and said "you need a nap or you're going to die."  So I took it easy for a few days, laid in bed and read to the girls, watched some Larkrise to Candleford, and re-couped. 

Here are some pictures for our little hike at Cascade Springs.  It's a great little 1 1/2 mile loop on paved trail, beautiful!

I want this one framed. I'll call ilt "Kids Climbing."
Made it to the top!

Awwww, look.  They're in love!

The natural spring water is completely crytal clear. You can see the fish swimming and moss growing.  It's breathtaking.
That is some good lookin posterity.

Enjoying a picnic lunch after the hike.

Took this picture on the drive back down the canyon.  I wish I could find some poetic words to describe the incredible beauty of seeing this in person, but all I could muster was "holy crap!"  Reflection on my intelligence? Perhaps.  But I still think it does it justice.  George, want to paint this one for me?


Joshua
Football is in full swing.  Games have started up and Josh is loving it.  He's covered in bruises, and his pre-game anxiety often leads to sleepless nights, but once he's out on the field it all but disappears.  I admit, I love to see him slapping the pads and helmets of the other boys as they make good plays.  I love to see him get through the line and try with all his might to sack the quarterback or disrupt the play.  It's awesome!

Josh and his teammates were able to line up to make  the "tube" for the Wasatch High School Football team at their homecoming game.
 

Josh also was my little side-kick this month as we drove from state to state as Cameron's "support crew" for LOTOJA.  Turns out he's a pretty good kid when his siblings aren't around for him to incesasantly tease.  We had a great time, singing songs, checking out the scenery, enjoying conversation, and cheering on his dad.
Before the race

Looks like he's trying not to wet his pants, but I think he was dancing to the music

The hills are alive!!

I know, I know, I look like his younger sister..........get that ALL the time........:(

Daxton

Guess who turned 7 this month?! 





With all the prep for the move the next day, we wanted to make sure Dax had a great birthday on the 28th.  We got as much packing done as we could, then celebrated his special day by going out to eat at any restaurant of his choice.  Limitless possiblilities and guess what he picked?!  McDonalds.

 After a dinner to remember we headed over to a private home-audio theatre (one of cam's buddies) and watched "Avengers."  The sound was so amazing you litterally could feel the Hulk smashing through the walls.  It was awesome, and Dax was all smiles.

Ella

Ella has started ballet.  It goes without saying that she LOVES it.  This girl is all things arts and crafts/ twirl and whirl.  So strap on a pink leotard and some slippers and she's at home.

Dancing at the house while I cleaned


Painting on some scrap wood while working on the house

Ella's hair blends well amongst the autumn leaves
Ella finally persuaded me to make her favorite dinner, chicken pot pie.

Look what Ella found! The hungry little caterpillar.

 


Amelie
Hiking at Cascade Springs

This girl LOVES her dad, or "daggy" as she calls him

Helping mom grout

My little snow bunny, all bundled up ready for our morning walk

Washing the dishes wearing nothing but underwear and one of Ella's church shoes.

We've done it folks.  She's 100% potty trained.  Princess panties and all.  Break out the mormon wine, it's time to celebrate!

Since the kids are now in school, Amelie and I have become quite the best of pals.  I've started up my little music class once more which affords Amelie and I an hour to sit and sing songs together, with neighbors and friends.  She's my Petite side-kick.  Ella returns from 1/2 day kindergarten before lunch and as a threesome we eat lunch and enjoy the afternoon together.  Girl power!

Cameron

Cam once again competed in the LOTOJA race this year.  Over 200 miles on bike from Logan, Utah to Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  He was hauling this year and seemed in great spirits, until the last refueling station.  When he arrived he had a mere 40 miles to go, but he looked like death on wheels.  His body had had enough and Cam had to call it quits (or be hospitalized).  He was pretty upset.  He never quits at anything, but when your body shuts down there's not much you can do about it. He couldn't eat or drink anything, pretty dehydrated. I still think he's amazing and never get tired of seeing him in those biking bibs.  Oww oww!
At the starting line in Logan. 
Getting ready with his good buddy Justin.  Ready set go!

Heading up one of the mountain passes.  I got tired just driving it.....

I took this photo to illustrate in some small part what it entails to be the support crew.  See that shiny line that curves to your left? Those are all cars, bumper to bumper in some parts as you drive to the next station, hoping you haven't missed your rider!


Cindy

We are home now.  I really feel it.  Our first few nights seemed as though we were visitors in someone elses home, strange feeling.  Strange too because I had spent so much time here throughout the building process, so to live in it seems somehow odd.  But it's been good.   It's been so nice to have the kids run and play again, to jump and laugh and have room to turn on some music and dance.  Been nice to have my own bed again.  Dishwasher is a dream and having more than one toilet has been much appreciated as we now all have time to sit and take care of business without a knock at the door and accompanying "I have to pee or I'm going to wet my pants!"
All moved in, hooray!

Want to come play in the dirt? Words of wisdom:  dirt turns to mud when it gets wet.....

I would love visitors.  I want our home to be one that all feel welcome to sit, relax, and enjoy the beautiful Midway air (if you enjoy the sweet smell of cow manure.)  I want our home to be a place of sanctuary and peace, a place where the Spirit is ever present.

Please come and visit!
 

1 comment:

Lisa S. said...

I am so glad you are doing so good. Landon misses your kids, he saw the photos and wanted to play with Ella again. Miss you and I do need to come and see you!