I feel blessed to live in a country that sets aside a day to
declare gratitude and thanksgiving. A
day to join with family and friend and give praise to God for the blessings He
has given to us.
This month has provided me with several “precious moments,”
that motherhood can afford. It’s those
rewarding moments that as a mom, don’t come too often. I feel that generally my life involves
laundry, dishwasher, picking up, and sniffing at brown things to ensure that
it’s a smeared nutella on the cupboard, and not it’s nemesis. But when those sweet moments come, it always
subtly reminds you: “Yep, motherhood is the greatest.”
One of those moments occurred during the early hours of the
morning. Amelie awoke, coughing and
feverish, and wanting her mom. We
quietly walked downstairs, got her some Tylenol, and then switched on the
fireplace and lied down on the couch together.
With her warm little body on top of mine, I laid there studying her
petite features. Her little button nose, her tiny fingers, long eyelashes, and
soft blonde hair. She began to twitch,
which signaled her slumber, and I held her little body in my arms as her chest
raised and lowered with mine.
Yet another moment was sledding with my kids. The fresh fallen snow always brings about an
indescribable joy within me. If snow is
even mentioned in the forecast, I anxiously awake each morning, pull open the
blinds in hopes that there is fresh whiteness blanketing the earth. One such morning proved very exciting as a
fresh foot of snow had fallen the night before. The kids and I adorned
ourselves with gloves, hats, and boots and ventured up the hill with great
anticipation. Seeing the countenance of
three beautiful faces, with rosy cheeks and happy eyes; made my heart swell and
cup run over.
It was a great month.
I love the holidays. Love having
extra time to relax, and enjoy good conversation and laughter with my family.
We hosted Thanksgiving with the Eggertz’ clan this month. It was a wonderful day. Beautiful bronzed turkey, fluffy seasoned stuffing,
delicious butter-glazed“Glen Eggertz” rolls, sugar infused candied yams, and
creamy potatoes and gravy. Finish it
off with some apple, banana cream, pumpkin and oreo pie…….and you’ve
accomplished what Thanksgiving is famous for: eating until you hate yourself.
Our Thankful Turkey
World Famous "Glen Rolls"
The boys playing "Just Dance". Justin must have some Latino blood with the way he was shakin those hips!
The next morning we ventured toFernwood in East Layton to have our annual "Thredgold Thanksgiving Breakfast in the Mountains". Nana prepared a delicious spread with everything from pancakes to cinnamon rolls to biscuits and gravy. Yum!
Amelie was a bit lathargic, and just wanted to be held by her mom.
After breakfast we sang some songs while Scotty accompanined us on his guitar, then played a little two-touch ball in the parking lot. Not to brag, but I scored two touchdowns. Only sad that I didn't capture my touch-down pose on camera. Classic.
Joshua
Josh and Dax built some snow forts on our first snow fall of the season!
This month Josh tried out for the comp team in basketball and was lucky enough to make the gold team! He's a Wasatch Wasp and practices twice a week for 2 hours at a time and plays each Saturday. So far he's played in Provo, Springville, and Heber. It's been a good experience and he's been putting in lots of extra practice to try and get more playing time.
Josh also entered the reflections contest this year with a poem he wrote. The theme was "The Magic of a Moment." Josh wrote a poem about the magical moment that occurs when a soldier is reunited with his family after serving in a war. Here is his poem:
The kids also went sledding after our big snow fall. There is a perfect sledding hill right in our back yard. Good times!
Here are some views from on top of the hill: looking into the valley, and down at our house. Hopefully they will help persuade you to move up here.
Daxton
Daxton also entered the reflections contest this year with a drawing he titled "The Golden Tower."
Dax also lost a top tooth this month. Check out that cheesy grin!
Ella
Ella also entered the reflections contest. She drew a picture entitled "Magical Rainbow".
Awesome, right? She came home beaming one day because she won for her grade level and got a medal and giant chocolate bar.
Ella and Dax with matching milk mustaches.
Ella took a series of photos of her stuffed animals in different poses on her bed and around her room.
Ella also had her dance recital this month at Midway's "Swiss Christmas." Much to my surprise, she was incredibly nervous. I had to hang out back stage with her and hold her hand, trying to coax her into dancing. We finally settled on bribery. I told her she could pick any item she wanted from one of the Christmas booths if she would go on stage and perform. To which she replied,
"Deal. But I'm not going to smile."
Lucky me, she picked a red-rose ring that only cost $2.
Amelie
I was watching my neighbors boy one day, Amelie's good friend "Joey." He accompanied us at the grocery store. With the two in tote, everyone asked if they were twins. So fun!
Amelie and I ventured into Salt Lake City together to set up at the Zion's Bank Art show, and had lunch together afterward. Here she is sipping her soda. Pretty cute date, right?
Amelie had her first haircut this month too.
The finished product!
Amelie is my little sidekick, my little shadow that follows me around wherever I go. Unlike my other kids, she's pretty clingy. She has to be in the same room with me, and if I climb the stairs quicker than her pace, she will begin to panic and cry because I'm leaving her behind. 90% of the time I love it. The other 10% is when I need to shower or use the bathroom, don't much care for an audience on either of those. We share the mornings together, just she and I, until Ella returns at 11:30.
The neighborhood has nice paved trails, so we've begun to spend our mornings going on walks together. She absolutely loves it, and will give me commands on where to go from her stroller seat.
"Over the bridge mom!" and "Turn here" and "I want to see the fishies in the pond."
Here's a view from one of our morning strolls.
Cam
Cam is awesome. I think that sums it up. We were able to go to Salt Lake City for 2 nights to celebrate our 12 year anniversary. It was a great time. Cam treated me to many delicious meals, including pana chocolate and a delicious dinner and desert from one of our favorite French restaurants, "Francks". Let your mouth water as you read my dinner description of "Franck's Meatloaf":
Slow Braised Pulled Pork, Beef and Chicken, Banana Squash, Whipped Potatoes and a Wild Berry-Lavender Sauce
Try it, you will thank me.
We were also able to see the new movie, "Lincoln," and on Sunday morning were able to attend "Music and the Spoken Word" in the tabernacle on Temple Square. Gave me goose-bumps. Twice.
Cindy
I was able to help my good friend George Handrahan with the 2012 Zions Bank Art Exhibition. Since George was double-booked, attending Zion National Park's Plein Air Competition, he again asked me if I would be interested setting up his amazing paintings and wheeling and dealing. It was once again, a delight. Delicious catered food, desserts and hors d'oeuvres, and amazing artists from all over Utah.
George pays me with his artwork. YES! This year I let Cam pick the painting, and he chose a great one. It's called "The Sentinel." Beautiful, no?!
I was also able to see, in my mind, one of George's most brilliant pieces. ( I literally jumped up and down when I saw it.) It's called "No More Work." I have no doubt that one will be in a museum one day.
You can check out George's other paintings:
Recently I have felt so happy and blessed that I almost feel guilty about it. Feel like I should be doing more to somehow earn the joy that I feel. God is great, and sending me these 4 beautiful bundles is such a huge gift. Living in the mountaintops is another great blessing, and being surrounded by good people yet another. I feel so blessed to have such an amazing family that gives me and my children love and makes us smile and laugh.
Oh, p.s. I have decided to make my blog private. I'm not sure if anyone else reads this, aside from me when I put it in a book at the end of the year, but there are enough weirdos in the world that have forced my decision on going private. If you're not in my email contact list and would like to continue viewing, shoot me an email:
1 comment:
don't forget me! I hope that I can still read! my email is troicecilia@yahoo.com
I would love to get together with you now that we are back in Utah! Did you know Mikala and Jake Miller are living in Seatle now?
Thanks Cindy!
Post a Comment