This year for our 12 days of Christmas, we did simple little activities together. I decided to shift our focus more towards our Savior, Jesus Christ. We talked about him a little each day. It helped to strenghten my testimony and knowledge of his life and ministry, and it brought the Spirit into our home. It made me think a lot about Mary, and how amazing a person she must have been for God to choose her above all others. It must have been so hard to know that your little baby would only be with you a short while, that he was here to minister and teach others, and that one day he would have to atone for you and all men. Pretty incredible.
One of our activities was making a gingerbread house and some cookies.
True to our year of Christmas mishaps, the gingerbread house stayed together just long enough for us to load it with candy. Seconds afterward the roof caved in and sides collapsed. I'm holding it together with my hands in this picture.
Snap the photo quick before it topples!
Kuhbloowee
Another day we headed to Nana Trish's house for the Thredgold Christmas Party!
My family doesn't lack in the talent department. We also don't lack in the crazy department, but that's another story for another day. Below are a few pictures to demonstrate what I think makes them so great!
Here is Kelli reading the "Grinch who Stole Christmas" to all the grandkids. She had them each wear Christmas hats and do certain actions when she said words like "grinch" or "who" or "Christmas." She's so clever!
Scotty and Audrey performed "Feliz Navidad" while playing their guitars.
Dax sang "Edelweiss" as a gift for Nana while Josh accompanied him on his violin. Tugged at my heart strings!
Then Scotty played "Jingle Bells" while Ella, Amelie, Kenny and Jack sang along.
After Jingle Bells we all sang "Royals" by Lorde. Not a Christmas song, per say, but definitely a highlight of the evening!! "Let me be your ruler....ruler.....you can call me queen bee......"
Next Kendall, Grandpa Scott, Scotty and Lil' Cam sang "Joy to the World." They sounded amazing.
Next we read the Nativity story while the kids set the animals, Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus in the appropriate places.
Finally it was time to unwrap some presents! Christmas Jammies for the grandkids! Then we tucked them all in and had one big slumber party at Nana's house. It was pretty great. Audrey, Ella, and Amelie slept together and Audrey said to Ella, "This is so fun. It's like we're sisters!" Cousins are the best!
While the kids were watching "Elf" upstairs with sleepy eyes, Lil' Cam pulled out "Just Dance" downstairs, and the boys shook their groove things to "Blurred Lines." It was very, very entertaining. Here's a picture of my favorite shot.
Breakfast the next morning. Audrey loves her grandpa!
This year I decided to have my kids give a gift to their cousins from their own toys. Something they loved, but would be willing to give up, to try and teach them the importance of giving, even if it's hard sometimes. (sorry siblings for the second hand toys. We really enjoyed your store bought ones. Suckers!) Dax decided to give his cousin Jack his favorite jacket. He REALLY struggled giving it away. Even though it no longer fit him, he wore it almost daily (even in the summer when it was 90 degrees).
Here is Jack wearing his "new" jacket.
Another day we headed to the Eggertz' family party. Before dinner, we all decided to meet at "Airborne" in Draper. A huge warehouse full of foam pits, obstacles courses, and wall to wall trampolines. It was a total blast and though I wet my pants a little and we didn't leave injury free, (Chris cracked his ribs on the slack line. OUCH!), there were still smiles across the board!
Dax shooting some hoops
Grandma Holly looking after Baby Lincoln
Whitney and Amelie
Josh attempting the Obstacle course. So fun!
One big happy family!
Cousins!
Another day we drove down to look at the lights at Layton Park with Nana, Grandpa, and Uncle Larry. Good memories!
Another night we joined Grandma Holly and Grandpa Glen in their ward Christmas Party. Bishop Eggertz' ward had a luminary lit path that you followed with your own lit candle. You walked along the path of light to the big star, where they had live actors re-enacting the nativity. They even had a live camel! And though it was freezing (as in 9 degrees outside) the Spirit was felt and it was a beautiful evening. Thanks Bishop and Holly!
I'm just realizing now why I never got any laundry done and why the house was a mess the whole month of December-we were too busy having fun!
Another evening we met our friends the Vernons, Maxfields, and Wheeler's on Temple Square to see the lights. Always breathtaking!
Cam was out of town in Montana (hitting deer on the freeway and totalling his rental car). So it was just the kids and I enjoying the scenery and the company of good friends.
They literally wrap every square inch of those trees until they are glowing. Spectacular!
We went to the Joseph Smith Memorial building to warm up and grab a hot chocolate and a cookie. Guess where the "Nauvoo Cafe" is? In the same room we had our wedding reception! They transformed the elegant room into a fun cafe filled with tables, chairs, and ymmy food.
Such an elegant building. It dazzles!
Joshua
Joshua has a friend who lives down the street named Elizabeth. She is as sweet as they come. Elizabeth is an amazing violinist and her mom, Emily, teaches Josh piano. Emily arranged for Josh and Elizabeth to play a christmas duet in primary, Josh on Piano and Elizabeth on violin. They sounded great. Josh caught wind that Elizabeth wanted to get him a Christmas present. He knew he couldn't show up empty handed, so he decided to make her a beaded bracelet and she delivered this poster:
The poster reads:
Hey "Mr. Good"football player! You are a "Big Hunk" and a "whopper" of a cool "Kat". "Look!" no one "Snickers" when you "Rolo" down the hall! It's no "Shocker" "Junior" you are a show "Stopper." I "Skor"ed getting you for a "Watchamacallit" (friend)! Thanks for being "Sweet" and not a "Nerd." Merry Christmas, Elizabeth
IT BEGINS!
Over the Holiday we went ice skating a few times at the local rink. Here is Josh and his buddy Abe with the "Ice Castle" in back.
DaxtonI volunteer in Daxton's class once a week, and I have noticed that he doesn't pay attention all too often. Half the time I don't even think he realizes I am in there. He hasn't fallen behind or anything (yet), I just wonder what goes on in that head of his all day long. Actually, that's not true. I have a pretty good guess as to what that boy is day dreaming about. Dax wants to be an "inventor" when he grows up, and he is constantly sharing with me all the invention ideas he has. Like this morning when I told him about the bad dream I had last night with volcanoes erupting and destroying villages, and us climbing to higher ground on a giant mountain of playground pieces. Dax said he would like to invent a hat that you wear at night that "as soon as the bad dream starts going, a switch turns on and it sucks up your bad dream and plays a good dream." Genius, I know. Hopefully he will buy me something nice when he makes it big. :)
Daxton finished up his tennis lessons this month. He really enjoyed this sport, so it looks like we may have found the right fit!
He wanted to show me his trick off the jump, but I timed it all wrong and instead caught a photo of him looking like he's about to eat it.
No commentary for this one.
Ella
I also volunteer in Ella's class once a week. Not only does she pay attention, but she is constantly asking her teachers what more she can do to help them out. She says she often stays in for her lunch recess so she can help Senorita Ferrer with different tasks around the classroom. Yep, she's one of "those" kids.
Ella and Amelie have become quite the pals. Just today after school the girls were having cookies and milk and afterward Amelie laid her head in Ella's lap while Ella stroked her hair. Sweet. (for the record, I am not one of those moms who makes cookies for their kids everyday after school. Truth be told I was craving chocolate, so I made myself some cookies and decided to share them. ha ha)
I have a brilliant idea to get the girls a queen size bed to share. I think they would love to cuddle up together, and calm eachother's fears in the night. (Could just be me being a dreamer again, but we'll give it a shot.)
Ella styling her new outift from Grandma Holly.
We were warming up in the lodge having some lunch and Ella wanted to show me her "new trick."
Dad playing "old Maid" with Ella. Dax was literally jumping up and down in the background with anticipation.
Amelie
The sass that Ella once possessed seemed to have disappeared, but it must have just evaporated and then rained down upon Amelie, cause she's got it. She's got it good! I keep thinking that she's "just tired" and that must be the reason for her sassy temper, but when it happens everyday you know that "sleepiness" isn't to blame. This girl's got the sass!
It finally clicked for Amelie on the slopes, and she's figured it out. Now she's a speed demon. She even out skis Ella. She's gotten so fast that she's had a couple good tumbles (including a front flip.) Thank goodness for those helmets!
She's that little pink blob on the hill.
Amelie wanted her picture taken at the Walmart Christmas display. haha
Cameron
Glen and Holly, you raised a good son. He is such a great dad. Many a time he'll come home to a pretty crazy house hold. For some reaon 5:00 hits and my kids are totally wired, so by 6:00 and Cam's arrival, it's nuts. But there's Cam in the thick of it, wrestling, or playing card games, or teaching the kids some magic tricks. Yeah, I think I'll keep him around.
Here he is "boxing" with Amelie, and below, teaching Dax how to perfect his magic act.
At Cam's work party this year they had a "gambling" night. You were alotted so many "chips." At the end of 2 hours, you could cash in your winnings for raffle tickets and enter them in to win an array of different prizes. After several rounds of poker, it was down to Cam and another woman. Cam lost. (it was her first time ever playing and she beat out everyone! awesome.)
Cam Skiing with the boys
We were lucky enough to visit with dear friends from our old neighborhood, the Taylors, Logans, and Thompsons. It is one sarcastic, funny bunch. What a great evening!
Cindy
Seems like I used to get a lot done during the day, but such is not the case anymore. Cam says it's because I have 4 kids and they are all involved in different activites now, plus he says my priorities have changed (which is all true.) But it's still hard when not only can I not finish any of the one hundred plus projects I would like to do, I can't even get the laundry done. Sigh. Oh well. Join the club, right? Let them be little, right?
I posted this picture, not because of my sexy pose or classy walmart jeggings, but to demonstrate that I no longer have a snese of style anymore. I wore this vest all day long (purchased from my local and favorite thrift shop). It was formerly an Anthropologie vest, which to me said that it must have been cute once. Sure it was a bit "grandma" but I could pull it off! However, after sending this picture to my sister's Shera and Kelli, they convinced me that at a purchase price of $3, I was ripped off.
Me and the girls skiing.
Warming up with some fries and refreshment. You think Disneyland food is expensive? Try ski-lodge prices! Fries, a drink and a slice of pizza was around $17. We'll brown bag it next time.
1 comment:
I love that Cam is teaching card tricks.....so is Aaron! Your family is so entertaining and cute! Happy New Year!
Post a Comment