Blog Archive

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Attitude of Grattitude


The table's set, and food is spread before your eyes. You feel like a child peering through the candy shop window. Your mouth begins to salivate. Those digestive juices are flowing, baby! Hooray for Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving-an American holiday. There are things you don't really stop and think about until you leave the country. Holidays are one of them. I admit to being a little naive (okay a lot naive). But when Thanksgiving day comes and school is in session, people go to work-just an ordinary day like any other...it's a little different. Sadly, there is no stove top stuffing here, no turkey, no french fried onions for your green bean casserole, you are lucky if you can find a can of pumpkin. (however, if you can get access to the military base, you score with all these items) That's when you thank the Lord for great friends who buy you a turkey (thank you Amanda) and great friends who host a Saturday Thanksgiving day-(You're tops, Heather!)

Being away from family is tough-especially around the holidays. It is great to have such wonderful friends who gather together when we are all a bit homesick-and share wonderful meals, stories, and laughter together. It felt like home. It was fabulous.


I've been thinking. (oh great, she's been thinking-look out 'cause here it comes). There are few things we can control in life, but we all have control of our attitudes. I openly admit that I struggle with this one. You see, my dryer broke this month (oh, how I loved that dryer). I was rather upset and all but cursed the heap of metal. Back to hanging the clothes on the drying rack. But then the thought occurs to me "you still have a washer." Thank goodness for this washer! Can you imagine hand washing all your clothes? Me neither! Yet people do that every day. Oh, there is so much I take for granted. Attitude of grattitude. Something I need to work on.


Josh


He must have overheard me talking to Cameron about what to do for stockings this year (since our's are packed away at home). This morning he came up to me and said "It's okay mom, I don't need a stocking. I can just use one of Dad's socks." Man did I feel bad. So while he was at school I borrowed my friend's sewing machine and used an old sheet to sew 3 stockings for the kids. I dazzled them up a bit and they actually turned out pretty nice. No smelly sock for my 5 year old!


Josh is very excited for Christmas. He already wrote Santa a letter asking for a "Sonic Leapster Game." Let's hope Santa can deliver it by Christmas! Josh's new favorite thing is having Ella walk to him. He loves it.


Daxton

This boy is talking up a storm. He wants you to look at everything. "Momma look! See it?" He LOVES the Christmas tree. I have a great friend that let me borrow her Christmas decor since she is leaving on the 15th. The decor included a tree and ornaments! Dax and Josh hung all the ornaments in one giant clump on the tree. It was great. Dax always wants me to look at the tree, then he lovingly strokes an ornament and says "Its nice."


Still no potty training. I am not physically nor mentally ready for that one. Nana-how about you teach him when I get home? (hee hee)


Ella


Going.....
Going....
Gone!

She did not want her picture taken-can you tell? It doesn't help that Dax is strangling her either.

Ella is walking! Max is 3 steps at a time. She gets too excited when she starts and does this little dance where she bends her knees and giggles, causing her to fall on her bum or her face. (Which with all tile floors in this apartment, has caused her to chip her front tooth. Ugghhh.)


She is getting a bit sassy. The girl attitude is emerging! Look out! It's so interesting to see how different she is compared to how Josh and Dax acted at this age. Ella loves to comb her hair, put on sun glasses, and help wash Daxton when they bathe together. Quite cute. Very "girl." (sorry Shera, I'm going to get a talking to for that "girl" comment aren't I.)


Cam

Last month D.C. Today he left for New Delhi, India. And on a private jet, none the less! I hope it is a fun trip for him. He will be able to do a little sight seeing and is planning on visiting the Taj Mahal on Saturday. I can't wait to see some pictures.


Cam is pretty swamped at the moment. He has 3 huge papers to write, (which entails hours an hours of research) a discertation after graduation, 30 hours a week at his internship, and find a job in the meantime. Kinda stressed. Wish him luck.


Me
3 double strollers! It's the mormons on parade!


This past week I traveled with a few friends to Aachen, Germany and attended their annual Christmas market. The scencery was very picturesque. A large beautiful cathedral in the middle with pine trees attached to every lamp pole, lights everywhere and small wooden booths filled with items from around the globe. The scenery-Beautiful! The chillins-Crazy! (can't blame them, it took 1 1/2 hours to and from for this one. Poor kids). But, I was able to see a few booths and buy a few items-including a breaded apple dessert (I have no idea what it was called-it was in German, of course-but it was delicious!)


I am very happy. Only one more blog until I am writing the next from the U.S. of A.! Yeehah! People keep asking if I'm sad to leave. Heck no! Okay, truthfully I will miss many great friends I have made here (that's you Heather and Vaitiare). And I will probably miss Belgium more once I am away from it. But I will NOT miss the gray sky or the lack of sunshine. Nor will I miss the language barrier. I won't miss bagging my own groceries. Okay, there's a lot I will not miss. BUT I have learned and grown in a way that was not possible had we not been here this past year. I am so glad that Cameron had the courage to take this leap because we have both greatly benefited from this experience. (now just add a job to the equation and we're golden!)

Love you all. Hope your holiday season is a happy and reflective time!

4 comments:

Marge said...

I am so jealous, I mean happy for you that Ella is walking. We are, shall we call it a little behind on the developmental curve. I'm still trying not to freak out about it but I"M FREAKING OUT ABOUT IT. I am so glad you are coming home soon - we can't wait to see you again. Thanksgiving in Belgium looks awesome if you ask me - you sure picked some GREAT friends!

brit said...

Your hair is so long. I love it. Thanks for sharing, again!

Kevin said...

Hey Guys! You guys are so lucky to be where you are. When I saw that you took a trip to Aachen I about died! I love that city! I lived there for about 4-5 months and loved the Wiehnacht's Markt there. I particularly loved the pastries they had which by the sounds of it you were able to enjoy. Lisa and I enjoy your updates and look forward to being able to get the boys back together the beginning of the new year if we can drag everybody together. We'll be in touch.

Kevin & Lisa

Penny said...

Cindy!
I love your blog, and as I'm not just becoming adept at this stuff, I thought I'd leave you a comment. Your family is too cute, and you are a knock-out as always. How fun for you guys to have such awesome experiences! How many people can say they've done what you have? Anyway, I hope all is going well with you.

Penny