Blog Archive

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Gizmos and Gadgets

It seems like nowadays there are billions of fancy little gadgets. We used to ooh and aah at a baby that could wet itself, or marvel over the amazing "Speak N Spell" ( I. C .U .P.......it gets me every time.) Now you walk down the toy aisle at any thrift store and it's a complete sensory overload. Lights begin flashing, music starts playing, wheels are spinning, dinosaurs growling......so much noise.......make it stop!

My kids and I took a little trip to Moab a few weekends ago. A child wonderland, complete with sand dunes to play in, rivers to dam up, rocks to climb on and dirt to throw. It occurred to me that we spend so much money on all these gadgets, when a child is completely content playing in the dirt with a stick in one hand and rock in the other. We just need to allow our kids the chance. Let them get dirty once in a while! (it's only mud, not some communicable disease.) I'm going to be better about things like this. They're only little once. Let them jump in the puddles. Let them step through the giant pile of mud. Allow them to splash in the gutters. Let them be little. (que the "Lonestar" song)

JOSHY BOY

Check out that air!Wet and happy.

I think Josh summarized our trip up best when we were driving in the car to yet another awesome Moab location, and says "This vacation is awesome." I love that my kids are happiest when they are outside.

This month also entailed our annual trip to Lagoon for Nana Trish's birthday (thanks for the fun, Nana!!) Josh is 50" tall this year, which means he is tall enough to ride everything in the park. His favorite's included the Mouse, Wicked, Colossus and the Spider. (thanks to my big sis Lisa who rode all those roller coasters with Josh because 3 kids later, his mom can't handle it.)

Josh quote of the month: "I have a lot of my mom and dad in me. My mom, because my hair is yellow like hers, and my dad because I get angry a lot."

DAXTON

Daxton loved all the red dirt and rocks that moab had to offer. He especially enjoyed working with me to dam up the river that we played in. He got a kick out of seeing the different directions you could get the water to flow, simply by putting a few rocks here and there.
Dax was enthralled with this scorpion. Not too close, little buddy.

Dax is 36" this year which means he was able to ride a lot of "big kid" rides at Lagoon as well. He went on the Bat with Mom, but his favorite was the "Jets" (as he referred to them) because you get to shoot a little gun that makes noise, as you fly in circles in your little space ship. (yes, more toys that make noise).

Dax quote of the month: Every Disney show we watch, at the intro, as Tinkerbell flies around the Disney castle Daxton exclaims: "Look mom, it's me! I'm Tinkerbell!"

ELLA

Ella had no trouble in keeping up with all the boys in Moab. This girl LOVES rocks. I'm actually going to make her a "rock garden"on the side of our house, so she can store all her "babies" there. (yes, she really calls all her little rocks her babies.)


Ella's favorite ride at Lagoon was the new "Jumping Dragon." Everyone was tall enough for this ride. Josh paired with Lisa, I was with Dax, but Ella needed an adult to ride with her, which only left my mom to accompany her (note to self: my mom doesn't like to go on many rides, ESPECIALLY those that spin around). We walked directly onto the ride, no line for this one, so we were unable to tell exactly what this ride did. We sat in our little chairs and the ride slowly begins to spin in a giant circle. As the ride began to accelerate I hear my mom say "Oh, shoot." I look back to see my mom with her head down and eyes closed, and Ella yipping and hollering "Woo hoo!" I was surprised at how fast this ride gets you spinning, and just when you think you can't take any more, it finally begins to slow down and come to a complete stop. My mom opens her eyes and says "Oh, finally!"...........and then the ride begins to spin backwards!!! It was quite hillarious. Luckily my mom was okay and we didn't have to carry her off the ride in a puddle of her own vomit.
My Mom's smiling in this picture because the ride hasn't started yet.
CAMERON

Cameron wants a road bike. I told him we could get him one for his birthday, but apparently December isn't the best month for riding. Don't worry hun, I'll look at our budget today and see what we can do. You deserve the bike (and more).
BIANCHI Road Bicycle
Cam is getting a promotion! Come August 1st, Cam will be an account manager, joining the team of two other men. It is very exciting and I am so proud of all his hard work and accomplishments!

Cam had a great time in Moab with the Priests. He was in his element: great outdoors, a river to bathe in, rock climbing, rafting, mountain biking.......talk about a great time!

CINDY

I had a great time in Moab with my good friend Brenda. We became friends in St. George because our husbands worked together. She showed us all a great time, and our boys had a blast together.

This month we got a PIANO!!!!!!!! I have been wanting one for so long, and out of the blue my neighbor Laura calls me and tells me that she has a friend who wants to donate her piano to somebody, and Laura thought of me. Thank you thank you! It amazes me that someone who doesn't even know me would donate their piano to a family that would love to have one. There are so many great people in the world! It is being tuned right now. I have enjoyed playing the hymns again, and the songs from the Children's Songbook. We are going to sign Josh up for lessons this fall. HOORAY!

6 comments:

Kelli Tingey said...

Cindy!
I've said it before, but I must say it again! You have the most beautiful children! I love you all so much!
-Kelli

Aaron and Bonnie said...

You all seem to have so much fun in the dirt! Maybe someday I will be able to "let my kids be little". The only problem is, I don't know if Aaron will ever get to that point. I love checking in to see what you guys are up to. We need to hook up again. It's been awhile.

Whitmer Family said...

I love the quotes from the kids. Josh always gets it right on. I feel somewhat relieved after reading the blog, I know Josh's birthday is coming up and now I know what to get him. I have a whole yard full of dirt and rocks.

Whitmer Family said...

I love the quotes from the kids. Josh always gets it right on. I feel somewhat relieved after reading the blog, I know Josh's birthday is coming up and now I know what to get him. I have a whole yard full of dirt and rocks.

Kayla and Samuel said...

You guys are great! I always get a kick out of your down to earth writing and how similair things are with us. Good job in the marathon, you guys are in Ogden now is that right? We are in Brigham City for the summer, Samuel's in charge of an airport upgrade here, we should get together sometime!

Herways Go West said...

I agree. Too much noise when it comes to toys and besides, they love nature a whole lot more! Goes for adults too. Get me outside! Why am I at this computer???