Our annual Thredgold Thanksgiving breakfast in the Mountains.
I baked my first pie in St. George 4 years ago. I went for apple, then later tried a cream-filled one. I kept wondering how the saying "easy as pie" came about. In my experience, pie isn't the easiest thing to make. Trying to perfect the crust, bake until golden brown, avoid burning the edges, and cooking the filling to the perfect pudding-consistency. (My first attempt's consistency was a bit like gravy.) So, I just googled it and here is what I came up with.
The phrase "easy as pie" was coined in the 19th century, used by many writers including Mark Twain. Though pies are not especially easy to make, the easiness comes with eating. Some people use phrases like "nice as pie" or "polite as pie." The term "pie" meant the "good life." Sitting around the table, leisurely eating a delicious dessert and enjoying friends and family. There, I just made you more intelligent, in turn making you more attractive. You're welcome.
Josh

Josh started basketball this month. On the soccer field, the boy was not the most aggressive. He tended to the outskirts and kinda watched the ball from afar. Josh felt that stealing the ball from someone was a mean thing to do. However, after watching his first basketball game, it is a completely different story. This boy's an animal! He not only stole the ball away, but then dribbled down the court length and shot a lay up! I guess basketball is his sport.
Josh also earned a blue ribbon for this year's reflection's contest. The theme was "Beauty is..." so he decided to do a water color of a sun setting behind the mountains.

Daxton

Still riding the bike around, only this month he decided to retire the "little" bike and move up a couple sizes to Josh's old one. The cold weather and snow falling hasn't detered him from riding, he just plows through it. He even hooked the little sled onto the back so he could pull that around in the snow.
Dax is very aware of my needs. He always seems to give me hugs or "love pats" when I need them the most. The other day I was sitting on the couch and he brought me a pillow so I could lay down. I got comfortable, then he brought me another pillow. "I already have one buddy," to which he replied, "No, this one is for your feet." And he lifts up my legs to put the pillow underneath.Ella

Miss Bella heard her friend Molly talking about a tea party at her grandma's house. From that minute on, Ella spoke of nothing else but drinking tea and wearing her princess dress. As a result, I hosted my first tea party and invited my sisters Kelli and Lisa to join us. Ella was completely in her element, sipping her hot chocolate and trying to make conversation with her aunts, "Kelli, what's your favorite color? Mine is pink." We had little sandwiches, some appetizers, fudge, cupcakes and then danced afterward. Kelli taught Ella how to curtsy.
Ella has also picked a name out for her little sister: Ella Lou.Cameron
Cam turns another year older on Saturday (and might I add, he is still so smokin' fine.) He leaves for France that day, to ski in the alps and stay in some fancy-shmancy home complete with sauna and indoor swimming pool. It is all for ZAG skis, demoing 2011 skis. Pretty sweet deal.
Cindy
Cam and I just celebrated our 9 year Anniversary, and spent the night in Park City. My sis-in-law, Meghan, manages "Prime Steakhouse" in Park City, and she gave us a $150 meal for free. I can still smell that steak coming out from the kitchen, and hear the butter sizzling on the plate. Oh wow, it was good! My bro plays music there Friday and Saturday. It was great to hear him play "Brick" on the piano (he just taught himself to play the piano a few months ago.)
I always look forward to this time of year as we spend more time with family and focus on giving thanks and thinking of our Savior's birth, His life and ministry. Happy Holidays!
2 comments:
thanks for sharing, and for making me more intelligent, that is what good friends are for. I love to hear what the kids are up to and especially enjoyed your josh section - I knew there was a mean kid in your family =)
I'm so glad the tea party was a success. Molly thought Thanksgiving dinner was a tea party. I love little girls. Thanks for the cultural literacy update on pie. I do feel smarter.
Post a Comment