Easter Morning.
I left a she-beast and returned a saint (seriously, my aura was glowing....well at least it felt like it was...) BYU Women's Conference seemed to be exactly what my soul, and sanity, was in dire need of. It was so edifying in fact, that it took 8 days before I raised my voice at my children (I need some kind of award for that one, right?!)
There are many fave quotes and moments from the conference, including listening to my younger sis Kelli speak on "Passing the legacy of Relief Society from sister to sister,", all the while gazing at her beautiful smile and hot legs. Or staying up til the wee hours of the morning laughing over absolutely nothing with my sisters and mom. But perhaps the thing that struck me most was something that Hillary Weeks said during a concert in the Marriot Center. She said that one day she was out to dinner with her little girl when the thought occured to her, "I will have all of eternity to know my children as adults, but I only have this short window of time to enjoy them as little children."
Pulls at your heart strings, right? I mean, wow. I only have this short amount of time to enjoy them as little kids, then its gone. Made me realize that I need to savour each and every day, fill them with hugs and kisses.
Joshua
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Buying a trampoline was one of the best things I ever did. Hours of fun and entertainment. Here is Josh sporting one of his front flips, with Ella on the sideline, cheering on her brother.
He just keeps getting more and more handsome. It shocks me how tall he is. I see him from a distance and think he's standing on something, but no, he's just long and lean.Josh finished up his soccer season, a bit teary because he never scored a goal. I reminded him that not only is it a team sport and there's a whole lot more involved then just the glory that comes from making goals, but it's also quite difficult to score when you're the goalie. Turns out that Josh is one heck of a keeper. He LOVES it, and sacrifices his little body to ensure that no ball crosses his path. Cam even bought him some red and black goalie gloves.
In school Josh has things called A.R. points (accelerated reading). Summed up, they read a book and then take a quiz to check for comprehension, and get points depending on the difficulty of the book and their percentage of accuracy. Josh's goal was 19, and with only a few weeks remaining in school, he only had about 9 to his name. So I told him that I would give him a dollar for every point exceeding 19. So of course, I now have to empty my wallet as I currently owe Josh $12 for his 31 point total. (Yes, this boy is money driven.....) He's saving up for a bb gun, so we'll see what fun that brings!
Daxton
It's a pretty impressive front tuck, right?
There is something about this little boy that I just can't seem to get enough of. He's my cuddler, my love bug, and at least twice a day, gives me a great big bear hug and says, "I love you so much mom." How did I get so lucky?!
Daxton was looking in the mirror the other day and said, "Mom, my head is very huge. I think it's because my brain is so big because I am smart." It's true, this kid has a very impressive head size. And it's true that he is a pretty smart kid as well. He's also very perceptive, especially when someone is in need of something. He is always first to offer help.
He also makes me laugh so hard! I just asked him if he wanted a "Hertz doughnut." And he asked "What's a Hertz doughnut?" So I slugged him in the tummy, "Hurts, don't it!" He giggled, then his eyes got all big and he asked me if I wanted a doll. I said, "I don't think so," and he kept giggling, "Yes you do mom, you want one, I promise." So I said, "Yes, I want a doll." And he punched me in the arm! Giggling hysterically he gave me a great big hug, "I just love you so, so much mom."
Ella
We were waiting for Ella the other nigth in the boys' room, our main destination for scriptures and prayers. She was taking a while in the bathroom so I went to check on her. I discovered a sink basin full of sheered red hair and a little girl with big bright eyes who knew she had done something wrong.
She cut off her bangs and some of her hair on the side, the solution to her problem of "being tired of my bangs getting in my eyes." So I grabbed the camera, took a few pics, dried her tears and told her not to worry, those bangs will grow back eventually. Apparently I should have been a bit more stern because she cut more off the next day, so I unleashed mama-bear for that one.
Some of my favorite things to do with Ella is turn on some music and dance. She loves to be spinned, twirled, and dipped.
She recently discovered that Cam and I were once kids too, and she loves to hear stories about when I was a little girl, especially the stories of Cam and my courtship. Our first date was ice skating in Park City. She loves the part when he held my hands and skated backwards, and when I tell her how amazing Cam was on the ice. I think it gets Ella and I both a little too giddy.
Amelie
Oh my goodness, this little girl is non stop entertainment! Those dimples, her woody-woodpecker laugh, her "rasberry" kisses on your cheeks, the way she squats down then springs to her toes to "jump". Wow, I love this girl. I always ask how I got so lucky to have this little baby! Only, she's not so little and weighs about 26 lbs. Tanker.
Amelie is incredibly social. Her first word was "hello," and she has to say hello or hi to anybody who passes her, (especially at the grocery store), then they say hi back and she flashes them her million dollar, dimple-filled smile.
Cameron
Cameron enjoys reading. Truthfully, it used to bother me. I know that sounds ridiculous, but when night would fall and it was time for bed I thought, "finally, we have some time to talk!" Then he would open up his book and all conversation would end. So I took solace in the fact that at least I got to just look at him while he read (he's so handsome) but unfortunately, it made him incredibly uncomfortable. So I'm not going to lie, every once in a while he is kindly asked to close his book and talk to me.
All this aside, I love that my husband is a reader. He's found a new genre that he can't seem to get enough of: Western fiction. Wallace Stegner is his new favorite author. I've read "Crossing to Safety" by this author, and it will be nice for Cam to read that one too so we can talk about it together. It will be like our own little married couple book club!
Cindy
I suggest Women's Conference to anyone who has the time to go. I am crossing my fingers that we can make it a yearly tradition. Pretty sure that Cam is going to jump at the opportunity to watch the kids so I can leave, then come back with a brighter, more cheery disposition.
Being silly in a dance studio.
Below, us during the opening session. Making little flowers for a service project.
I have recently discovered that I really, really like pie. It is so delicious. The golden, flakey crust, the bubbling warm filling. My mouth is watering. It is my opionon that you do not need an excuse to make a pie. It doesn't have to be a holiday or a special occasion. I can eat pie whenever my cravings are asking for it. Like the other day. I had the flu and felt pretty crummy, but apple pie just sounded so delicious. So I mustered up the energy, whipped out a pie, and ended my craving. Delicious, and well worth the effort. (plus, who wants to eat a pie made by a sick person? So I ate most of it by myself.)
My new fave appetizer: Quesadilla cups with nectarine salsa. You bake some tortilla shells with Monterey Jack cheese inside, then spoon this filling into the tortilla shells. I substitute mango for the nectarine, since it's hard to come by a nectarine off season. Delish. Doesn't that color combination look yummy?
She cut off her bangs and some of her hair on the side, the solution to her problem of "being tired of my bangs getting in my eyes." So I grabbed the camera, took a few pics, dried her tears and told her not to worry, those bangs will grow back eventually. Apparently I should have been a bit more stern because she cut more off the next day, so I unleashed mama-bear for that one.
Some of my favorite things to do with Ella is turn on some music and dance. She loves to be spinned, twirled, and dipped.
She recently discovered that Cam and I were once kids too, and she loves to hear stories about when I was a little girl, especially the stories of Cam and my courtship. Our first date was ice skating in Park City. She loves the part when he held my hands and skated backwards, and when I tell her how amazing Cam was on the ice. I think it gets Ella and I both a little too giddy.
Here's Ella doing her "spin jump"
Oh my goodness, this little girl is non stop entertainment! Those dimples, her woody-woodpecker laugh, her "rasberry" kisses on your cheeks, the way she squats down then springs to her toes to "jump". Wow, I love this girl. I always ask how I got so lucky to have this little baby! Only, she's not so little and weighs about 26 lbs. Tanker.
Amelie is incredibly social. Her first word was "hello," and she has to say hello or hi to anybody who passes her, (especially at the grocery store), then they say hi back and she flashes them her million dollar, dimple-filled smile.
Cameron
Cameron enjoys reading. Truthfully, it used to bother me. I know that sounds ridiculous, but when night would fall and it was time for bed I thought, "finally, we have some time to talk!" Then he would open up his book and all conversation would end. So I took solace in the fact that at least I got to just look at him while he read (he's so handsome) but unfortunately, it made him incredibly uncomfortable. So I'm not going to lie, every once in a while he is kindly asked to close his book and talk to me.
All this aside, I love that my husband is a reader. He's found a new genre that he can't seem to get enough of: Western fiction. Wallace Stegner is his new favorite author. I've read "Crossing to Safety" by this author, and it will be nice for Cam to read that one too so we can talk about it together. It will be like our own little married couple book club!
Cindy
I suggest Women's Conference to anyone who has the time to go. I am crossing my fingers that we can make it a yearly tradition. Pretty sure that Cam is going to jump at the opportunity to watch the kids so I can leave, then come back with a brighter, more cheery disposition.
Being silly in a dance studio.
Below, us during the opening session. Making little flowers for a service project.
I have recently discovered that I really, really like pie. It is so delicious. The golden, flakey crust, the bubbling warm filling. My mouth is watering. It is my opionon that you do not need an excuse to make a pie. It doesn't have to be a holiday or a special occasion. I can eat pie whenever my cravings are asking for it. Like the other day. I had the flu and felt pretty crummy, but apple pie just sounded so delicious. So I mustered up the energy, whipped out a pie, and ended my craving. Delicious, and well worth the effort. (plus, who wants to eat a pie made by a sick person? So I ate most of it by myself.)
My new fave appetizer: Quesadilla cups with nectarine salsa. You bake some tortilla shells with Monterey Jack cheese inside, then spoon this filling into the tortilla shells. I substitute mango for the nectarine, since it's hard to come by a nectarine off season. Delish. Doesn't that color combination look yummy?



No comments:
Post a Comment