Blog Archive

Friday, July 15, 2011

June in a Nutshell

Never thought we would have hot chocolate in the middle of June, but the weather permitted and the kids were cold and craving it.  Wild.

So, I've been thinking lately.  July 24th is Pioneer Day here in Utah.  A great day to celebrate the courage, faith, and strength of those who settled this breathtaking valley.  I have felt impressed that I need to read some of the stories of those who came before me, so I can not only feel grattitude towards those pioneer men, women and children; but so I can also toughen up a bit.  I have been kinda' hard on people lately (including myself).  I just think if the pioneers were to see us complaining about the stuff we seem to whine about, they would not only feel shocked and disgusted, but might be compelled to smack us upside the head.  So, join me if you will.  Let's read up about our heritage and stop being such sissies.

Joshua

 Josh received his Wolf Badge in Cub Scouts.
 Helped raise the flag at the firestation.
Slippin' and slidin' in our backyard.  He puts the hose on the slide, the kids love it.

Truth be told, I was a bit nervous with how the household would run with Josh being out of school for the Summer.  In the past, his all day long presence would definitely affect the dynamic in our home. But to my surprise, I LOVE having him home.  I'm not just saying that either.  He is such a HUGE help with Amelie, and really does his best to help Dax and Ella when they need a hand.  He is funny too.  I get a kick out of this boy. 

Daxton
 Daxton's Preschool Program, with his teacher, Mrs. Cyr.
 Grandma and Lisa came to see the performance!
 Dax and Jack at Lagoon.  Jack idolizes his cousin.  They are good friends.
 Dax and Amelie on Bulgy the Whale. 
Enjoying a sucker in Pioneer Village.

Daxton is currently saving his nickels, dimes and pennies in an effort to purchase a video game called "Super Mario Galaxy."  Cam told him if he saved $15, he would cover the rest.  So all day long Dax is asking me what he can do to earn "a dollar."  He's done pretty well, and after weeks of saving, is only $2 short. 

Dax also finished up his tee-ball season as an L.A. Dodger.  He had such a blast, and we sure enjoyed watching him swish his arms to and fro as he ran from base to base.


Ella

Have you ever had an eye opening experience?  Ella's dance recital was just that.  Unfreakinbelievable!  I admit to being completely naive.  Drop her off, pick her up, and sometimes catch a sneak peak of her dance.  Simple, innocent, one ballet and one jazz number.  Cute!  But then the recital starts.  The lights dim, bass starts thumpin and a 10 year old controls the spotlight as she shimmies and pelvis thrusts around the dance floor.  People are cheering, cat calling, and I'm thinking, "I am so not in Kansas anymore."  Truthfully, I was more than embarrassed to have my daughter as a particpant in something so..........what's the word........white trash and dirty?  I was clueless and had no idea that this dance company was into this kind of thing.  Seriously people, who are you and why do you want your daughters wearing tight spandex and shaking their boobless 8 year old chests at you?  Sigh.  On a high note, Ella's dance was innocent and adorable.  And yes, she will never come close to a dance studio like Lightbox's ever again.

No, I don't tell her to pose like that.  She just does it.  Even more of a reason to stray off the shimmy-shake path.....
Ella and Molly after the performance.
 Ella and her cousin Audrey walking to the car after the recital (We skipped out early.  Couldn't take it any longer!!)
 Sliding down with baby sister.
 Ella and her good friend Allie, watching flag's being retired at the fire station.
 Ella and Kelli on the Lady Bug Drop at Lagoon.
Hanging out in Pioneer Village.

Amelie

 Playing outside and a bird pooped on her.  Disgusting, I know.

Sitting patiently (lasted all of 3 seconds), waiting for Daxton's pre-school performance.
Man, this girl is such a hoot!  She has this funny little personality and will do anything for a laugh.  She only says a handful of words, but it amazes me how much she understands.  "Amelie, go get your shoes on please."  "Amelie, throw this in the trash."  "Amelie, get off that counter you little stinker."  And she does it all!  Can't get enough of her.  I am always asking her, as I kiss her chubby cheeks, "How did we get so lucky to have you in our family?"

Cameron



Cameron is medicinal.  I can be a complete medusa, eyes glaring, snakes pouring from my head. Then he comes home from work, walks through the door, and a good 10 minute dose of Cameron sets me straight again.  Maybe it's his fermones.  I should rent him out or something, make some extra cash.

Cindy

I love being a mom and taking care of my little ones, but  I've turned over a new leaf.  My new motto is "Oh yes you can!"  You see, I'm tired of doing everything: laundry, yard work, cleaning, vacuming, cooking, etc, etc, etc.  So now, the kids are going to do it.  Now they are cleaning the bathrooms, folding the laundry, mowing the lawn, making their own lunch.   Is there a lot of whining?  Heck ya, but it's time they earn their keep. 
 I am trying to just let things go.  So what if their clothes aren't folded perfectly or if they are placed in the wrong drawer?  If they need clothes to wear, they can find them. 
They are learning.  Dax made scambled eggs all by himself the other day, and Josh can now cook Top Ramen, Mac and Cheese cup cakes, and brownies all on his own. At least it's a start.
It sure is a lot easier to do things on my own, it's tough to keep on top of your kids while trying to teach all 3 of them how to do something new. To my detriment, sometimes a lot of yelling is involved.  For examle, trying to get all the kids to weed the flower bed, (stop whining and keep pulling!!) then turn around to discover that Amelie had discovered the mud puddle.

So please wish me luck in my endeavor to toughen up my kids, and try to keep my sanity while doing so.

1 comment:

Kayleen said...

You are such a fantastic example. I love reading your blog. Your perspective is priceless :)