Blog Archive

Friday, August 12, 2011

July 2011

I have never been a fan of boxing.  Truthfully, I think it's barbaric.  I imagine 20 years from now children will be studying history and saying, "They used to put two people in a ring and let them beat the crap out of each other until one of them hit the other so hard it knocked him out?  This was considered a sport? And people paid to watch it?!"  Unless of course Suzanne Collins theory comes to fruition in which case we will have arenas in which people kill each other for our entertainment (Hunger Games, for those of you who are out of the loop).

However, Josh was begging me to watch "Rocky Balboa," the last film in the epic Rocky series, so we popped it in. 


It was awesome.  I mean really, these Rocky movies are great! (much apologies to my husband who has been telling me this for years, to my unbelief.  I even threw out his Rocky Poster.  Yes, he had a poster of the Italian Stalion.  Josh used to hang it on the back of his door.)

So yes, I gained an appreciation for the sport.  It just amazes me that these athletes put themselves through rigorous training, then willingly step into a ring knowing that they might get knocked to the ground.  They take a hit and keep on fighting.

 Rocky delivered one of his famous "Rocky" quotes during the flick.  You're going to love this one.   In the film, Rocky's son approaches him and asks his dad why he's not tired of being the laughing stock.  He blames his dad for the way he's turned out, saying that because of his name, nobody treats him fairly.  And Rocky replies:

]You ain't gonna believe this, but you used to fit right here. (pointing to his hand)



I'd hold you up to say to your mother, "this kid's gonna be the best kid in the world. This kid's gonna be somebody better than anybody I ever knew." And you grew up good and wonderful. It was great just watching you, every day was like a privilige. Then the time come for you to be your own man and take on the world, and you did. But somewhere along the line, you changed. You stopped being you. You let people stick a finger in your face and tell you you're no good. And when things got hard, you started looking for something to blame, like a big shadow. Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you! You're better than that! I'm always gonna love you no matter what. No matter what happens. You're my son and you're my blood. You're the best thing in my life. But until you start believing in yourself, ya ain't gonna have a life. Don't forget to visit your mother.
 
Pretty good, right?  You're thinking, "This quote ranks right up there with  Martin King Jr's 'I have a dream' and Kennedy's 'Ask not what your country can do for you...'" 
 
Now go.  Order it in vinyl and stick it to your living room wall.
 
Josh loved the movie so much he immediately grabbed his money stash and went directly to the computer to order himself some boxing gloves.  He and Dax have been punching each other ever since.  Dax loved the movie so much that while the credits were rolling, I looked over to see him doing push ups.  No kidding.  And when his push ups were done, he got up off the floor and blew on his bicep, then went and punched the door and said, "See mom, that didn't even hurt." 
 
All in all, Rocky, you are the new kick-butt inspiration at the Eggertz home.
Josh

School starts in two weeks and I'm a bit sad over that one.  I'm going to miss this boy when he's gone!  I think I have just really enjoyed having someone to talk to, and joke with.  And the extra help with the kids has been great too.

Josh turned 9 this past month.  We spent the day at Cherry Hill and had a great time.  He invited his two best friends, Tate and Maddy.


 His morning surprise, doughnuts and a giant balloon from Nana Trish.
 He asked mom and dad for a Buzz Lightyear. I think he peaks his eyes open at night to see if he comes alive.  That's okay, I do it too.



 Cupcakes with Grandma Holly and Grandpa Glen.
 
Daxton
 
Trying on Grandpa's glasses. That picture epitomizes Dax's personality. Just a silly, happy kid.



 Hiking in Mt. Green with the cousins.

I know I've said it a billion times, but Dax is just great.  He's so easy going, he's the first to offer help and the last to quit.  He's tough, he's funny, he cuddles, he cooks; he even rubs my shoulders.  He's just a great kid. I think God sent Dax to me and said, "She'll need this little guy."

Dax quote of the month:
We were at Grandma Holly's playing with water guns, and Dax says to Cameron;
"It's a good day for a bad day."
Then squirt Cam in the face.

Ella

Ella, the diva princess, is losing her sass.  Or perhaps it's because the baby is such a terror that she's making Ella look real good.  Regardless, Ella is becoming quite the sweet heart.  Helpful with her baby sister, loving, sensitive when people are hurt, "Oh Dax, that scrape looks like it hurts.  Mom will take care of you."  I'm quite enjoying my little red-head.

I think our baby-sitter put it best when she said that Ella is 4 going on 16.  My grandma recently gave me a box of her old clip on earrings. It was like Christmas morning when I opened the box to show Ella its contents.  She loves putting on her clip ons, grabbing her purse, and trying on my shoes.  Her favorites are these boots.

Ella hiking in Mt. Green, complete with purse.
 Bangs have grown back.  Yeah!

Ella quote of the month:
Cam didn't want to do something, so Josh called him a party pooper, to which Ella replied:
"Dad's not a party pooper.  He didn't poop at my birthday."

Amelie

Did I mention that she's a terror?  I mean seriously, I've never had a child like this before.  She's everywhere. Nothing is safe anymore.  The only time I feel I can relax is when she's asleep. Otherwise it's "Where's the baby?  What's in her mouth?  Get her down from the counter. We don't touch knives!"  I don't even need a baby monitor because my body can sense when she wakes up from her nap.   I start to get real tense, especially in my shoulders, and I know I need to go get her from her crib.  Sigh.  Just gotta keep this girl alive.

But she is so stinkin cute! Those dimples, her funny personality.  I just love kissing those chubby cheeks!  So along with the anxiety, she also brings much joy and laughter.  Love her!

Water baby.  She LOVES the water, and has no fear of it whatsoever.  Like I said before, just gotta keep this girl alive.

 Here are some of the funny faces she makes when you point the camera at her.

 Posing.  All dressed up for church.

 Hiking above Shera's house in Mountain Green with nappy sunblock hair.
 Couldn't resist posting another of her funny face pics.
Cameron

Cam continues to train for next month's LOTOJA race.  We were at Bear Lake last weekend and he rode one of the courses most difficult stretches, 51 miles total, 23 of that uphill.  I don't know how he does it, I'm just impressed that he does.

Cindy

I am working like mad to get some projects done around the house, all the while trying to keep my sanity and 4 kids fed, cared for, and entertained, plus do the yard work, cooking, laundry, cleaning and pay the bills.  Tiring?  Yes.  Rewarding?  Of course.

One of those projects was putting in a fun little fire pit to the side of the house.  It's been great fun already, and we have had the delicious and gooey privelege of enjoying delicious s'mores on several occasions.

Dax, Mr. Reliable.  Always the first to offer help.  He shoveled loads and loads of gravel.
Ella got tired of shoveling and instead put them in a stone at a time.....
Amelie opted to put the stones in her mouth.
After shoveling, we would dump the rocks, then give them all a ride back to get some more!  "Bumpin' up and down in my little red wagon...."(that's the song we would sing on the journey back.)
Enjoying the fruits of our labors.........gooey mallows, chocolate and grahams!

I've also re-stained our deck, and put a new covering "re-deck" on our deck floors (turned out nicely).  I've painted the kids' bathroom and put up a new light fixture and hardware.  Next week:  tile the bathroom countertops.  Wish me luck!

4 comments:

The Maxfield's said...

Go Cindy! The yard is looking amazing and your post was inspiring as usual. I think you might be the best mom ever!

Whitmer Family said...

Pretty awesome Mom. I just read all about amazingness and now I feel like I have to pick on you somehow to make me feel better. No really you are amazing. Good work on the house and being an amazing Mom, Sister and Aunt, I would say daughter,....but you know, I think I take the cake on that one. ha.. I got one in.

Four Winns said...

Cindy, good luck on the tile. If you start to feel frustrated and think it can't be done, might I recommend watching the training montage from Rocky IV? You know, as long as you've decided you like Rocky now. I have always thought they were the greatest movies EVER.

Gary and Bree said...

Cindy I really LOVE your blog. Every time I read it you bring a smile to my face! I love your family. I know your kids are going to love reading all of this about themselves and they will probably be cracking up at all of the funny cute stories you have on here! Oh, Amelie is so adorable!! She has gotten soo big.