It happens few and far between, but when it does, it is sheer jubilation and inexpressible joy. This month God granted me "the perfect day." I have had one before, a couple years back when I took the kids skiing at Snow Basin: a beautiful warm day full of white snow, laughter, great skiing, and singing on the way home to "Florence and the Machine." This day was no less triumphant.
What makes a perfect day?
In my book the perfect day consists of morning to evening bucket-loads of joy spent with your family. The kids all get along, everyone is happy, and you thoroughly enjoy that precious day together.
It was Friday, October 11th. Fall break for the kids, so Cam and I decided to take our little family on a camping trip to Escalante. We started the day waking up from our tents to frost......always an interesting experience sleeping in below-freezing temperatures. Luckily Cam has equipped us with nice poofy bags to sleep in, and we all stayed warm......well, warm enough. Huddled around our morning fire we devoured our pancakes and bacon, cuddling together with hats gloves and blankets until the sun hit our camp site and warmed us up. We packed lunches, filled our water bottles, and set out on our adventure for that day which consisted of two slot canyons: spooky and peekaboo. Only relying on directions from a website, our adventure heightened when we drove to the wrong place, hiked for 45 minutes in the wrong location, and finally asked for better directions. Once arriving at the right spot, we hopped out of the car, hiked into the gulch, and explored a winding wash (which we thought to be one of the canyons). Once again I asked for direction, and after 4 hours of hiking ,we ended up in the right canyon.
It was epic. The kids were full of giggles and laughter as they explored the beautiful winding stone, carved away over thousands of years by mother nature. They literally lifted and pulled each other through this canyon, happy to help their brother or sister make it through all the obstacles that lie in our path (could totally relate this to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but I'll let you figure that one out.) Their legs were tired, but they were tough and kept hiking, through Spooky gulch, over and through Peekaboo, and finally up and out of the canyon. Six hours of hiking and I kid you not, there was no whining.
Miracle? Yes.
Perfect day? Certainly.
Driving up and over Boulder Mountain on our way to Escalante. I was completely full of Ooh's and Ahh's. Breathtaking!
My little gang all comfy-cosy for the ride.
After setting up camp, we hiked to Upper Calf Creek Falls.
Dax found this "Coon-skin" hat at the warehouse store and had to have it. He's pretty much been wearing it ever since.
The girls dipping their feet in the chilly water. We are coming back in the Summer so we can jump and swim in these beautiful pools!
Dax found this rock that looked just like a slice of chocolate pie. Mmmmmm, pie.
You can see the pool below and to the right of us. A perfect place for a dip next Summer!
Found our way back, roasting hot dogs and smores over the fire.
All bundled in their tent for a cozy slumber. I just want to wrap them all in my arms and squeeze 'em!
Woke up the next morning and hiked through the slot canyons. First was the dry-wash. The kids loved all the dried and crackled clay-mud.
Strike a pose kids!
Josh caught a beautiful lizard on our journey. Dax really wanted to keep it as our pet....
Josh found a great rock to jump off of, and land in the soft smooth sand below. Soon all the kids wanted to try!
Spaces were so tight and cramped throughout Spooky and Peekaboo canyons that we only did a few videos, and no pictures. However, at the end of Peekaboo there was a giant, I mean HUGE mud pool that we had to avoid (which involved me swinging the kids down, and over to Cam) The "boy" in Cameron thought it would be funny to throw a big rock into the puddle of goo, and soon Cam, Dax, and Josh were covered in muddy slop.
The next day we drove to Capitol Reef and hiked . Here we are having a picnic lunch in one of the canyons.
This has to be one of my favorite pictures of all time. Blowing this one up for our wall!
Found another slot canyon to explore! What a great trip!
We also have to include a picture from our trip to St. George this month. Lisa ran her 10th marathon, and we went down to support her and cheer her on. Great job Lisa!!
Joshua
This boy is growing. His feet have outgrown mine, and we are near eye to eye in height. Not sure what I'm going to do when I have to look up to discipline him. Maybe grab a footstool or something?
This month I have been impressed with Josh's testimony. Though our scripture study is far from daily, I try to take time each day to give a thought, pose a question, or talk about a prophet from the scriptures. I figure the important thing is making sure my kids feel the Spirit, and recognize that feeling when we talk about Christ's Gospel. Last week's family home evening was on Abinadi, the prophet who gave his life in upholding his testimony of Jesus Christ. I showed the picture and let the kids tell the story. They all new something, even if it was just that Abinadi was the good guy, and King Noah was the bad guy. Yet when Josh shared his knowledge, he brought the Spirit. He told us what we can learn from Abinadi and how his life and example can strengthen our own. He's a good boy. I give kudos to his amazing primary teachers over the years!
Josh's football season ended this month. His team won as many as they lost, and I feel that Josh had a great season. There is a night and day difference with how he played this year compared to last. This year he definitely knows the game better, which helps. But he also learned to play through his anxiety. He was more aggressive, quicker, and wiser with his placement. And though I still cringe when I see him flung around out on the field, I am also bursting with pride for my little guy.
Grandpa Glen made the drive to Provo to sit in the rain with us and cheer on his grandson. Meant a lot to have him there.
Thanks Grandpa!!
Daxton
Daxton's class Halloween Party
We had our primary program this month and Daxton took part with the other baptized 8 year old children and sang "When I am baptized." He made sure to place himself directly in front of the microphone, and his sweet little voice resonated around the chapel. They sang the second verse as a class which reads,
"I know when I am baptized, my wrongs are washed away. And I can be forgiven and improve myself each day. I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain. I want to be the best I can, and live with God again."
It warmed my heart and brought tears to my eyes because Daxton really feels this way! He truly wants to be the best he can be. Just the other day he made me raspberry jam toast and a corn dog for dinner (and yes, I did eat it!) and while I ate he massaged my shoulders. He's just a sweet kid. And on no account from me, he was just sent from heaven this way because God knew I would need a Daxton in my life.
Here are Dax and Ella for "crazy sock" day. They decided to just trade socks that day. love it!
Ella
Ella has started a new genre of art. It started with fairies, moved to rainbows, and is currently fixated on trees. She uses a variety of shapes and colors for her unique trees. I can't wait to see what she will create next.
Ella has asked us to write math problems for her.......every morning and every night. We finally put them in a plastic sleeve so she could reuse the same paper. She LOVES doing math.
This month Ella has begun her day and ended her night by asking me the same question,
"Mom, can I PLEASE take violin lessons?" I kid you not, when I wake her in the morning for school those words are the first out of her mouth. It all started when Josh was practicing his violin at home and allowed Ella to play it for a brief while. Something sparked inside her when she placed that bow across the strings and produced music. You could see it on her face. So I did some research and it turns out violin lessons are kinda pricey! We'll have to see if I can talk Cam into it......
Amelie
I continue to smother Amelie in hugs and kisses, trying to savor every last little drop of my baby girl. She is nearing four and growing so smart everyday. She loves to spend our days riding her bike, playing with her best pal Joey, playing "house" with Mom, or eating chocolate. (a girl after my own heart.) She has also started playing "Just Dance Disney" on the wii. It is pretty stinkin cute to see her dance and shake to those Disney classics.
Amelie upgraded to Ella's bigger bike
It wouldn't be an Amelie post without a couple pictures with her best pal, Joey
We didn't even ask them to do this. As soon as they saw each other they ran up and gave a big hug.
This is Joey's mom, Colleen. Amelie loves her as much as I do!
She LOVES these teeth, wears them constantly.
This month Amelie and I went on a field trip with her pre-school class to the Hee Haw Farm in Pleasant Grove. We had so much fun together!
Miss Camee (pretty convinced she is the sweetest person EVER)
Playing in the corn pile
petting zoo
Hay ride to the pumpkin patch
Cameron
To say that Cameron loathes Halloween is an understatement. He hates it, doesn't understand it, and doesn't want anything to do with it. We are pretty much exact opposite on the Halloween scale. Every year there is an argument about me hosting my annual "Thredgold Spooktacular Extravaganza," but after the yelling and tears he allows me to go through with it. :) Though this year he again refused to dress up.
Here are a few pictures from the Party. I'm going to have to post an entire segment documenting the party, as Meghan captured a lot of great memories.
bobbing for apples
sweep the pumpkin relay
The famous "mummy" wrap
eyeball on a spoon relay
ice cream ghosts for dessert
Ariel and Ursula
Took the kids to the "ScareCrow" walk up at the Zermatt
What can I say? I love Halloween. I love seeing the kids transform into a new person or creature as their imagination is triggered by a simple wig or face paint. I love seeing the excitement on their faces as they anticipate that glorious night when they will travel door to door with candy-filled bags. I love the games, the smells, the lights, and this year......the giant inflatables in our yard.
My Uncle Larry moved back to Utah this month and delighted us all (excluding Cam) with filling our yard full of his accumulated Halloween paraphernalia: an inflatable Frankenstein and grim reaper, glowing graveyard and tombstones, ghosts, zombies, pumpkins, and hanging clown and zombie. Truth be told, I don't like the scary of Halloween. I'm more about the jolliness of it all, so to say I was a little more than uncomfortable with the idea of Larry "scaring" the kids on Halloween would be fair. But out of the hundreds of kids that trick or treated at our door, he only made one cry. They showered him with compliments about how our house was 'the best decorated in the valley,' and I feel he had an amazing night. Thank you Larry!
that's his cauldron that he stuck his hand up through the bottom. When kids reached in to grab the candy, he grabbed their hand and would scream.
In case you're wondering what those glowing eyes in the top windows are, I took pictures for a closer look:
Yes, those were seriously hanging from our windows.
Cindy
I guess I just wrote my section on Cam's section. Ha ha.
I hope I don't sound like one of those mom's who does nothing but dote on their kids and tell everyone how great they are......and yet, what's wrong with that? My kids are wonderful, and I love them to pieces, but like the rest of you, we have our up days and down days. Just the other day I told Cam that I quit. It was another mad dash in the morning to get all 3 kids out the door and to the bus stop. Missing shoes, unfinished homework and a lost jacket was enough to put me over the edge. I even told Ella to put her "stupid jacket" on. Yes, I reverted to a child like state and called the jacket stupid. Sigh. Not my best moment. But I did apologize afterward.
Do I really want to quit? No. But would I like a break once in a while? Of course. Do I need to do a better job at making my kids more independent? Hells ya. Motherhood is the toughest, but we're getting there and I truly am loving the process.......at least 90% of the time. :)
Just look at these cute kiddos! Halloween morning having some pumpkin pancakes.
The kitty siblings. I even put a heating pad under their pillow.....they are loved. :)
1 comment:
I absolutely love your posts! You have the best ideas for activities for your family. I hope you get the "break" you're in need of, but know that you are a FANTASTIC mother. Love to you all, but especially Ella!
Post a Comment