But Andy Williams hit it on the head because it is definitely "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year". A whole month spent reflecting on God's grace and bounty. (Though an E-card made me laugh when it said that "Only in America do we wait in line and trample others for sale items one day after giving thanks for what we already have."
Seriously, we're disgusting.)
Lately Cam and I have exchanged many a glance filled with laughter at all the silly and humorous things our kids have done. Like Ella telling Cam he "looks like a teenager with that jacket on." Or Josh trying to sneak our "outside cat" up to his room by hiding it under his shirt and saying, "What? There's no cat in here," as his shirt moves bounces all around while the cat attempts to make himself comfortable. Or at Daxton's cub scout "Space Derby" where he won second place, and was asked to give a winning comment into the microphone for all to hear. He smiled and said, "I'm just happy to be here." Or during Family Home Evening when we were talking about bullying and the difference one person can make in the life of another. I asked the kids if anyone has noticed kids picking on other kids at school, and Amelie replied, "I see kids at my pweschool and dey pick inside der noses all da time." It's moments like those that I pause and thank God for filling my cup to overflow.
This Thanksgiving we packed up the car and drove over the river and through the woods to Tom and Jocelyn Harris' beautiful home in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Tom and Cam moved to the same neighborhood in 5th grade, and have been great friends ever since! We had an amazing time, full of fun, lots of laughter, and sad goodbyes. Jocelyn is an amazing hostess with the mostess and cooked us wonderful meals. We left with full hearts and chubbier bottoms.
Our first night we drove to Glenwood Springs and swam in their hot springs! It was a great time, then we slumbered at the hotel.
We walked around town the next day, and Dax was thrilled with free newspapers! (which he read in the car)
We arrived to the Harris home Wednesday evening, a fun banner welcomed us!
Just in time for Pie Night! Jocelyn made not one, not two, but SIX pies for our pie night.
Big smiles and bloated bellies. Yummy pie!
Dax bought a "fossil rock" that he shared with everyone. They each took turns trying to dig out the bones and shells. Fun! (and messy. Good thing Jocelyn is patient with us...)
Thursday morning we woke up for our "turkey trot," which was more of a "turkey stroll," but enjoyable nonetheless! The kids brought bags so they could find some "treasures." (i.e. rocks, twigs, railroad screws, and such)
The Eggertz Family!
We hiked over to "Frozen Lake" which lived up to it's name. Frozen solid!
Amelie's legs got tired on the way back, so dad gave her a lift.
Ruby's legs also were tired, and soon Avery's. I kid you not, Jocelyn carried both Rubes and Avery up the biggest hill. This woman does the Iron Man people!
Our Thanksgiving Meal! Delicous!
The next day we drove to Red Rock and went climbing with the kids. They all did awesome!
Curly Girls!
True to form, Jocelyn showed everyone up. This climb was TOUGH and she lead it. I could barely make it up on top rope! Can you see how smooth the rock is? Smooth rock=zero holds. She's one crazy tough chick!
I love this picture of Amelie. She looks like a little swiss miss! Yodle-la-hee-hoo!
Me and my sweet heart.
All the excitement wore Amelie out, and she fell asleep.
All the kids Exploring the rock.
Our hike back. Beautiful!
On the way home we stopped in Mantiou Springs and hit the local arcade. Here are Danny and Dax taking a drink from the natural soda spring!
Based upon the faces above and below, who's machine was broken and ate the quarter?
Dax doing a little "Building Demolition" while Josh played is luck on Frogger.
The next morning we said our sad goodbyes to the Harris' clan, then drove to Breckenridge for a fun ski day with the kids!
Finally we drove back to Glenwood Springs and stayed the night. Isn't that mountain breathtaking?
The next day we arrived home, and guess who set had this all set up in our yard?! Of course, Uncle Larry! Ha ha! Unfortuantely it only stayed up for the picture. :) (Santa and the Snowman are holding a happy birthday sign for Cameron. Joke was on him!)
Thanks for the amazing Thanksgiving Vacation Harris family! We love you!
Joshua
Junior stud muffin never ceases to suprise and amaze me at his abilities and what he can overcome. This boy inherited a lot of traits from his mother, mainly her ANXIETY. However, Josh is learning how to overcome those feelings day by day. He made Cam and I very proud this past month when he performed his first ever lead climb. For those unfamiliar with climbing, a lead climb is where you hook the carabiners into the bolts yourself, and then lift the rope up and into the clip; rather than just hanging from a top rope. Meaning that if you fall while lead climbing, you fall to the bolt below you, rather than the rope holding you from on top. It is hard, and very nerve racking, and Josh did it! So proud of you little buddy!
Trying on Uncle Chris' Bison hat at Aunt Ally's house.
Josh wanted to have a "late night" with some neighborhood friends, so we invited the Ballsteadt girls over to watch a movie and have a "dance party" in the basement.
Josh and Elizabeth are only days apart, and rather fond of each other. :)
Daxton
True to the "middle child" label, Dax is often forgotten. He just doesn't need the attention that some of the others demand (I think he prefers it that way.) He just quietly goes about his business, a happy and mellow kid.
One of Daxton's favorite things to do at the climbing gym is climb up on the ropes, then swing from side to side. Look at those skinny legs!
We had a great snowfall this month, and Dax built his own snowman.
Ella
Daxton has a "homework packet" each week that requires him to do certain things, one of which is a "readers response" that asks him to write 3 sentences about a book and topic of his choice. It's like pulling teeth to get him to write. He HATES writing (and I realize that "hate" is a strong word. But he HATES it!)
Ella however, LOVES to write, and would do it all day long if allowed. Here are a few examples.
I found this one out on Cam's work bench. She wrote down her testimony. "I like to share my testimony that I know that our church is true and that Thomas S. Monson is a true prophet."
"I want to go outside to play in the snow but I will need my snowclothes. I will want to go where it is snowing so I can make a snow angel." Would have been quicker to just ask me. haha
"In 2 weeks I am going to Colorado for Thanksgiving. I am staying there for a while. Yeah!"
"I love you mom and Dad. Thank you for taking us on a trip. It will be fun. Signed, Ella"
Heights do not bother this girl and she continues to show up her brothers when she climbs. She truly is a natural. It pretty much rocks.
Ella was so excited to get her own scarf from Grandpa Scott's trip to China. Her spanish teacher, Senorita Ferrer, wears a scarf every day, and Ella was excited to follow in her stead.
One way I volunteer in the kids school is for "Meet the Masters," an art program where the kids learn about a specific artist and make their own art piece according to the genre. Here is Ella creating a windmill with chalk, while Amelie busies herself with crayons and a coloring book.
Yep, that's Ella allright.
Amelie
Oftentimes I am reminded that Amelie is a three, soon to be 4 year old. It usually hits me when she's singing her abc's or reminding me where we parked the car. She's getting big, and though I don't like it one bit, I suppose change is inevitable.
This month Amelie has developed a large fear of Gollum. Yes, as in Gollum from Lord of the Rings. You may be asking yourself, "Why did you let her see those movies?!" to which I respond, we didn't. We've been watching a lot of "Studio C" lately, (strongly recommend it) and they did a comedy sketch that "Gollum" appeared in. Even the bald man acting as Gollum scared her to tears, and she's been joining me while I relieve myself in the bathroom ever since.
Amelie has also made a really good friend in preschool named Jason. Miss Cammee, her pre-school teacher, told me that it's the cutest thing because the two really look out for each other in class. Amelie told me the other day that Jason invited her to go hunting with him. Bear hunting. So together they have formulated a plan to "hunt in the mountains with guns" and that she needs a "tent and sleeping bag and some snacks and no grown ups can come."
And yet, when she's asleep, she's still my baby.
The snow was falling so we headed outside to make some angels!
Our little climber. Just look at her cute little butt!
She was playing in the water in the sink one day. I love this picture.
No, that is not a stuffed cat. She snuck Spots in one day, and pretended he was her "baby."
We took Joey and Amelie climbing one day after Colleen and I worked out. That's Joey at the top and Amelie below.
Cameron
Cam and I celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary this month. It still blows my mind that we have been married that long. But love amazes me. Even when he does something that ticks me off, I hear his voice and it sends my heart fluttering again. He really is the best boy for me.
Cam and I decided to spend the night in Park City this year. We again realized that we got married in a loser of a month. Too cold and snowy for Summer Activities, and not enough snow for Winter activities. So, we went and saw a movie, Captain Philips, and got good and bloated on popcorn, then went out to eat. We stayed at the Canyons resort and enjoyed sleeping in the next morning. A BIG thank you to Uncle Collin who not only watched the kids, but got them to 9am church EARLY the next day. You're fantastic Coco!
Cam and I on Checking out Main Street
Beautiful Mountain View from our room (too bad the ski hills weren't open yet)
Some shots of Park City. Beautiful!
Cindy
This month my good friend George Handrahan asked me to again attend the "Zions Bank" art show in his stead. George had a GREAT year, and I was able to sell 7 paintings. Hooray!
Look at the special visitor who came! He's even more of a "Silver Fox" in person. Literally glows!
Had to snap another photo of the Kitty Posse.
Love my little munchkin!
No comments:
Post a Comment