Blog Archive

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Baby Amelie







Ten little fingers,
Ten tiny toes,
Two deep cheek-dimples,
And one button nose.
Dark hair atop,
Long feet below,
Amelie has arrived,
How we love her so!

Our beautiful baby girl was born at 2:22 pm on Tuesday, February 16th, 2010. Amelie Lenora Eggertz. 8 lbs, 3 oz, 21” long. She is so beautiful! I am very happy to see this little girl and to add her to our growing family. Words can’t describe those feelings you have when your baby is delivered, and takes her first breath of air in her new little body. Amazing.

Let’s talk about pain, shall we?

Here’s a scenario for you: If for some reason your doctor approached you saying you had to have your big toe amputated, would you ever think to yourself, ‘Hmm, should I have anesthetics, or not? Maybe I could deal with the pain of having a sharp knife shard off my toe.” Of course not! It’s all about “Put me under and give me some strong pain-meds afterward.” So why is it that for some reason some of us have the crazy notion of having a human being pushed through a 10cm opening in our bodies without any kind of pain medication?! I’m sure for some, it is so they can say “I did it.” For others, maybe they want to experience that sensation and perhaps have a greater sense of empathy for those women who have been doing it for centuries before with nothing but a pan of hot water. For me, I’m just stupid.

I was planning on having an epidural all along, but little did I know that I would have a super, I mean SUPER PRO-NATURAL-BIRTH nurse named Jenni. As soon as I said that going natural had entered my mind, she pulled out the “labor ball” and showed me all kinds of positions to deal with the pain. And you know what? They worked! Sitting on that ball, through the contractions while Cam pushed on my hips, it really made a difference! But soon I reached an 8 and was hurting pretty bad, and asked “Is it too late for an epidural?” To which she winks at Cam and replies, “Yes, it’s too late.” Witch.

Yes, I know it was ultimately my decision, and at least it’s all over now; but wow, it was horrible. I went natural with Daxton, and it went pretty well. However, with Amelie I was started on Potosin at 11 (dilated to a 3), water broke at noon, and she was delivered at 2:22. Witchy nurse checked me about 5 minutes before the baby was born. I was at a 9, and she said the baby still needed to drop a little, so she recommended I get back in bed and curl up in the fetal position. I curled my legs up to my chest, and BOOM!!! The baby dropped and my body kicked into gear and started pushing her out!

All I remember is calling out profanities, and telling Cam “I can’t do this, I can’t do this,” while nurses are frantically pouring into the room and my nurse is screaming for the doctor to get to room 4609, stat. So there I lay, with the baby’s head crowning, waiting for the doctor to get his butt into the room. 3 pushes later, she was here!

Moral of the story, don’t be stupid. Get the epidural. Enjoy your birth instead of crying in pain and scaring your husband out of his wits.

To end on a happy note, it’s a day later and I feel really good. I did tear and had to be stitched up, but the baby is here safe and sound and she’s nursing great. The kids were so excited to meet her (so heartwarming!) and my joy is bottomless. I feel such great honor to have the opportunity to experience being a mom with 4 beautiful little children. The human body is such an amazing thing, and I am again reminded of God’s love as he entrusts me to raise his daughter. We love you Amelie!

11 comments:

Tara said...

OH my goodness what a cutie! And WOW! Awesome that you did it with no meds. But OUCH! Don't think I would want to. Bring on the drugs! :-)

Mary Ann said...

She is beautiful! I love the name! You are one heck of a woman to go through all of that!! Glad to hear that everything went well! Congratulations!!

Four Winns said...

Is it sick that I'm really happy to hear about a natural birth where the mom says, "Don't do this!"? Well, I am. Congratulations on Miss Poulin (you know that movie, right?) and on being all done. I'm not sure how I'll take it. Good luck with four!

The Maxfield's said...

Yeah! I'm so glad everything is okay. I was trying to find you in local hospitals and started to worry. Sorry I didn't get to come visit. I'm so excited to see her! I'll give you a call. Congratulations Eggertz family!

Marge said...

Amelie is beautiful - I love her dark hair. I'm glad that you are home, I'm sorry that things didn't quite go how you planned (I'm laughing my way through your description). One thing I always tell expectant friends is it is okay to have a plan but don't plan on it going that way because if you get set on one way it won't go that way and then you'll be upset or disappointed and that shouldn't be your memory of labor and delivery. I'm so glad she is here. WA HOO!

Whitmer Family said...

Amelie is soo Beautiful! I say NO Epidurals, I say GO NATURAL, be TOUGH! Going natural is the only way to go. I mean come on its not that bad. Ha, ha. No you are awesome Cin, gopd work being a studly birthing Mama.

Reynolds Family said...

I'm so glad she is here and you are done. She is so cute-I love the dimples! Wow, all natural, what a woman! I think I've already blocked out Madelyn's birth. I hope your getting some sleep. Congratulations!

Aaron and Bonnie said...

It was great going to lunch with Cam today. I wish you were there. Your little Amelie is such a doll, I can't wait to see her in person. Yes, you are amazing for going natural. I would never do it!
Good Luck!

Lisa said...

She is such a beautiful baby! She has the cutest dimples ever. We are so happy for you guys. Welcome to life with four.

Penny said...

Congrats,Cindy! She is so cute with those dimples. I mean really cute-she doesn't have that lizard look most newborns do. I know mine come out looking like little reptiles (which I think are perfect anyway). You are one tough mama, and if you need anyone to burn said nurse's house down, you know who to call. I think natural child birth is for women that have 5 lb. babies. Just my opinion.

Gary and Bree said...

She is adorable cindy! I can't believe you did it all natural! You are one tough cookie. You look great I hope you liked the dinner. Let me know if I can do anything else for you or your fam!