Blog Archive

Friday, October 31, 2014

September

September has been a fun, busy month.  San Diego with the inlaws, LOTOJA, and Daxton turned 9! (we measured his feet up to mine and they are nearly as big now.  He's growing so fast! We keep telling Josh he better eat more, 'cause his little brother will pass him up soon....)
Let's start with San Diego.  Cam has some wonderful sisters who planned a getaway for Holly's 60th birthday.  We had SO MUCH FUN.  Very relaxing, lots of laughs and of course, way too much food.  Thanks for the memories girls!
It all started with a drive down to the airport.  It was ten to one, and I was about to park in the park n ride, to make the 1:50 flight.  Megan calls me and says, "you know the flight leaves at 1:15, right?"  Ummm, no.  I have had 1:50 on my calendar and phone for weeks now!!  I drove like a maniac to the airport, prayed to find a parking spot, threw the keys under the driver side wheel, and ran like a crazy woman towards security.  Megan was there waiting for me with ticket in hand.  Together we, as politely as we could, butt our way to the front of the line, to be held up by a swiss army knife in Megs wallet.  Agghhh! The guy took his sweet time finding it, then we were off, running like mad to the gate.  We literally missed it by seconds.  I think I had a heart attack (or two), but we missed the flight.  Lucky for us, our superhero (aka Glen) flew to our rescue, and used his frequent flyer miles to get us to San Diego that same day.  He is an amazing, selfless man.
We went to the Mormon Batallion museum together.  Very informative and fun.  Would love to take my kids back there sometime!

We ate out at several yummy places.  Here we are enjoying Pizza and Salad on Holly's big day!

It was truly a "Girl's Trip," even Baby Laerken joined us!  She is an adorable and fussy little squirt, but Megs had the touch and could always seem to calm her down.



Erin drove to San Diego and was gracious enough to be our escort.  This is Megs and my view from the back.  We took the photo below right at exactly the same time that we were part of a major accident.  Traffic was stopped on the far right lane, and one guy wasn't paying any attention to it.  He plowed his truck through a car, drove up the side barrier, then plowed through another car, back into traffic.  A motorcyclist literally jumped off his motorcycle and up and over the truck, then rolled on the freeway, and jumped up to walk to the shoulder.  It was the craziest thing I have ever seen.  Luckily, we were all okay, but Erin's car was hit by debris.  Craziness!





There was a doughnut and amazing Danish shop close to our Condo.  So, of course, we got both each morning!

My favorite part of the trip was our time at the beach.  I think I could have spent all day there.  So calming, relaxing, perfect temperatures.  I love this picture of Holly.  It is the essence of relaxation!





If you know me well, you know that the ocean terrifies me.  Like literally makes my pulse race when I think of getting in.  But I mustered up enough courage to boogie board with Ally.  We had a lot of fun.


This baby Laerken is such a doll!



We went to Claim Jumper for dinner one night.  It was delicious, and they sung to Holly afterward.



Our last day there, we did a little shopping, bought some hats (Cam thinks mine is hideous), then drove to Mackinac Island and saw the "Grand Hotel."  Remember the movie, "Somewhere in Time?" Same hotel featured in the movie.  Such a fun trip.  I feel so lucky to be part of such a wonderful family.  Thanks for the memories girls!



This month we also attended the funeral for my cousin, Connor Thredgold.  It was an amazing service, completely full of the Spirit of God, where strong and powerful testimony was born.  He was a happy boy, and a hard worker.  My love and continued prayer goes out to my Uncle Greg, Aunt Cindy, and cousins Brian, Shane and Brandon and their families.  

The brothers drove his casket away to the cemetery in Connor's pickup truck, Old Blue. 


We learned at Connor's funeral that his favorite hymn was "There is Sunshine in my Soul Today."  Josh immediately came home and began to learn it on the piano.


We had a sleepover this month as well.  Kelli came and stayed with us a couple nights.  She's the best, and my kids adore her.  She came in late when she arrived, and climbed in bed with the girls to sleep.  When they awoke the next morning, shouts of "Kelli!!" were heard.  What a fun surprise!

Joey and Richie also spent the night.  Dax and Richie opted to sleep in the living room, while Joey joined the girls in their room. It is so nice to have a neighbor like Colleen who has my back, and I've got hers.  She truly is like a sister.


Our birds finally started to lay this month!  We average about 3 eggs per day from our 4 birds.  It has been such fun to see the kids gathering the eggs each day.  It's like Easter every time they open up the laying box and see the eggs that await them.  The eggs are delicious too, and I'm not just saying that because each egg's average cost is about 4 dollars for how much we have spent on everything.  They really just taste better, richer, I guess. My new favorite snack is a hard boiled egg.  Yummy! 

This month we have taken a few trips to the river.  There is a fun place in the Provo River that you can float down.  The kids are incredibly brave to take the plunge in the icy cold water.







We also headed up to Strawberry Reservoir this month and did a little Craw-Dad Catching with the Jarvis and Whitaker families.  Good times with Good people!



Andrea was demonstrating that free ear piercing was offered on the dock.  




Cam took Ella for a ride on the paddle board, and Amelie slept all the way home.  




Joshua


My little man, only wait, he's no so little anymore!!!  His feet are bigger than mine and he is nearly as tall.  Seems I am always doing a double take as I glance at him to see if he has shoes on, or if he is really just that tall.  He's really just that tall.  He will pass me up shortly.  Sigh.  Crazy, but awesome at the same time.  I really enjoy my Joshy-boy.  He is so so funny.  Like this picture below.  I purchased a skeleton  to use for Halloween and Josh immediately grabbed hold of it and preceded to waltz.  Josh has become quite the awesome young man.  Though he teases his siblings incessantly, he is SO GOOD around other people.  He is helpful, and always seeking out opportunities to serve and help others.  He's a good boy and I love him so much.  

Here he is during this years Swiss Days event.  Josh worked long, 8 hour shifts each day (though he was only asked to work one 3 hour shift).  And he wasn't one of the kids goofing off and talking with friends the whole time, for the most part he was hauling scone dough from the kitchen to the fryers.  He worked hard and tirelessly.  And I loved that he could sense where he was needed, and head to that station to lend a hand.  Good work buddy!

Josh is now known as the "Unicycle Kid" throughout the neighborhood.  He rides it to the bus, and clear across the block to piano lessons.  His next feat is taking it down stairs, and hopping on it.  

And finally, football season is in full stride this month.  Josh is doing great as defensive end.  
He is number 35, in the orange socks and white jersey.


Here he is, seconds before sacking the qb.  He had 3 sacks this night. He averages 1-2 per game.  

He barely missed him this time.  
Daxton

Daxton started flag football this month.  He is loving it.  And he's pretty good at it too.  He likes to play quarter back, but is pretty fast on offense as well.  He's scored a couple touchdowns, and is having a good time.  He is still tall for his age, and always seems a full head taller than the other kids.





Daxton turned 9 this month!  We had a fun family birthday party. This year Dax got a bow and arrows, a remote control motorcycle, and a bunny whom he lovingly named "Charlie Chocolate Eggertz."


Here we are enjoying a candle-lit birthday dinner!
Grandpa Glen and Grandma Holly came up to see his football game, then we all grabbed some dinner together.


Ella

Our little Bells has gone from super sweet, to incredibly sassy, back to sweet, and has now moved on to dramatic. In fact, Amelie said the other day, "Mom, I am the queen of farts.  You are the queen of burps, and Ella is the queen of drama."  True that!  Though she is emotionally charged lately, we still love her and the sweetness she adds to our family.

Ella drew this picture the other day, and I loved it.  It simply says "Love Kids."  It put it all into perspective for me.  I've just got to love em!

We've tried to squeeze a few end of the season swims in before the pool closes.  I love this pictures as she runs through the autumn leaves.


I woke up one morning to find these 3 munchkins all cuddling in bed.  They really do love each other.


We were finally able to visit our dear, sweet, amazing Aunt Evelyn this month.  At 95, she is still the most able woman I know.  I love her so much, and so do the girls.  It is such a privilege to know her and call her family. 


In addition to drama, Ella has also gotten into singing and performing lately.  Here she is, singing into the microphone with her music stand in front of her.  Dax is providing the lighting effects by using his Remote Controlled Motorcycle who's wheels light up, and Amelie has her paper in hand, announcing what song Ella will sing next.  It's nights like these where having a family is pretty wonderful.


Here we are one morning, being goofs.



Amelie

Amelie has become quite clingy this month, to the point that I literally had to lift her up and onto the bus one morning, while she clung to me and said "don't make me go!"  It is heartbreaking as a mom to do those kinds of things, knowing they are sad, but knowing it is best for them to go and that they can do it!  Luckily, it only lasted a few weeks, and she feels fine going somewhere without me once more.  She is my little sidekick.  I am still not enjoying the fact that she does preschool 4 times a week, but she is loving it.  I only have a year and a half of having her home part time, and it makes me so sad!  I am entering a new phase of motherhood, and it's weird. My kids are growing up too fast.  I'm just trying to savor every second! (without collapsing from exhaustion.  haha)

Amelie started Dance this month and is loving her time with Miss Sonnett.  She does tap and ballet once a week.






We also squeezed in a couple swims while the big kids were in school.  Amelie had Joey come join us for a dip in the pool!

Sometimes Amelie and I enjoy a little lunch together.  Here we are at Cafe Galleria, the local pizza place.  See Cam, my hat is not all that bad.


If Amelie could play with friends everyday of the week, she would be a happy girl.  This month Amelie has made a new friend, Londyn.  They LOVE to be together.  Here they are making some zuchini bread together.


And of course, our monthly Amelie and Joey pic.  Joey's sister Catherine took this shot.  Looks like something from a cologne add.......
Joey really does love Amelie.  It cracks me up the things he says.

Cameron

Do you remember 2 years ago when Cam said to me, after a long and grueling 10 hour bike tour, "Cindy, remind me to NEVER do that again."  Do you remember that?  Well, I remember that, but somehow Cameron doesn't.  So here he is again, 2014, competing in the LOTOJA.  I like Wikipedia's definition of this crazy race.
LoToJa is pronounced “LOE-to-juh” by some and "la-TOE-juh" by others. It starts  in Logan, Utah and heads north into southeastern Idaho and winds across western Wyoming. The finish line is near the base of the Grand Teton, one of America's top ski destinations. Along the scenic 206-mile (332 km) course are three mountain passes, plus hilly to rolling terrain that results in nearly 10,000 feet (3,000 metres) of vertical climbing.  It is estimated the average LoToJa rider will burn up to 15,000 calories on race day and take approximately 11 hours to complete the event.  

And if that's not enough to paint a visual, check out the elevation map below:


Race started bright and early, around 6 am.  It was chilly, but the boys were excited and nervous to get going.  Cam rode the race this year with his BFF, Casey Jarvis.  These boys are like peas in a pod.

First stop, Preston.

Second stop, Montpelier.  This is after the biggest climb of the race, but these boys were doing awesome.  Above is a shot of what it's like to be support crew.  You drive to each station, quickly hop out of the car with all the items in tow (water, electrolyte drinks, and all kinds of foods and energy glop.)  You lay them out all neat and tidy, then watch for your rider and hollar their name as they approach so they can recharge.  




Next stop, Afton.

Andrea was my partner in crime for the day.  She did an amazing job driving, and after an 11 hour car ride with her, I still love the girl!

And final stop, Alpine.  They unzipped their shirts all sexy like to send a pic to their  good buddy, Jeff.

Final stop, Teton Village.  They did it!  And in just under 11 hours.  So proud of the both of them!!



The boys took a soak in the river afterwards, and literally, froze their balls off.  


There was no utterance of "I will never do that again," this time around, so, here's to next year Andrea!!

Cindy

I am happy.  I love being a mom.   Cam leads our little family through so many adventures, and I feel so lucky to have him by my side to enjoy it all (and bear it all) together.  Like this moment, when I took the three kids for a quick jeep ride one Sunday, only to run out of gas and have Cameron come and refuel us.  He saved the day.



This month I finally made Cam the peach pie he has been waiting for all season.


And happiest of happiest news, Shera had her 3rd baby boy this month!  Born a day after her birthday (on Lisa's birthday) Sep. 21st.  Johnathon Scott Whitmer.  She did it all natural, despite her horrible back pain because he was flipped.  She is a strong and beautiful mama and I love her and her new little bundle!







I enjoy cuddling this new little bunny as much as the kids.  Too bad we have since found out that both Cam and Josh are allergic to the little guy.


I always have to include a couple scenic shots of this beautiful Midway valley.  Feel so blessed to live here.





This month I hiked with some amazing women, and we summited Timpanogos.  Anyone who has done this hike knows that it is not easy.  It's a 15 mile hike that reaches a summit of 11, 749 feet.  Second tallest peak in Utah, next to Nebo.  We dropped the kids off at school, and hiked til we hit the top.  Unfortunately we took longer than anticipated and had to run most of the way down to try to get to our kids in time.  Crazy adventure, but a fun one.  



Laura, Sheena, Shannon, Star, Andrea and myself.

Laura got this cool shot of me hiking up the scree towards the summit.  


And finally, I have done nothing to document our trip last month to Glacier National Park.  That's because for some reason, all the pictures were deleted off my phone.  Just the pics from that trip, it's so ironic.  But luckily I posted this one to Instagram and was able to have a copy.  It was a fun trip and they certainly don't call it "Big Sky Montana" for nothing.  






No comments: